Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the trans bellhousing bolt pattern on these engines is. They were used in the Chevy LUV/Isuzu P'UP and in Chevettes/T1000s through 1986. I think S10's got them too. Curious if it's the same pattern as the 60' V6 (2.8/3.1/3.4L) since it seems to have been used with some of the same transmissions.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Looks like he is talking gassers. My Cavalier has the 2.2l but it's a sideways mounted tranny. Looks close to the old s-10 pattern but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If it's gas I don't believe they have a std GM mounting. I had one in an '82 S-10. I ended up replacing both the engine and tranny. I wish it would have fit because I ended up putting a 454/m20 in it instead. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort!!!!!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If it's gas I don't believe they have a std GM mounting. I had one in an '82 S-10. I ended up replacing both the engine and tranny. I wish it would have fit because I ended up putting a 454/m20 in it instead. It would have saved me a lot of time and effort!!!!!
Yes, but when they went to the 4.3 v6 in the s-10, they used the bellhousing pattern that share with SB, BB Chevy. If you have a 4.3 s-10, you could bolt up a Duramax. :eek: Getting it shoe-horned in there is another challenge.;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess not too many people know about the Isuzu-made 4-cyl diesel motor in 1.8L and 2.2L variants that was an option in the LUV and Chevette up to about 1986, and looks like it also was optional on 1983-1986 S10 after the LUV was dropped.

Given most of the vehicles it was used in use transmissions that came behind the 60' V6 family (the GM 4's shared the trans case bolt pattern with the 2.8/3.1/3.4), I'm wondering if it's either the same pattern, or uses some sort of adapter.

(There have been some strange adapters over the years - the most ironic would have to be the Jeep Wagoneers that came with Buick-made V6 and V8 engines. Jeep used a universal pattern TH400 trans sold by GM that was basically the same main case used behind 64-66 Buick 401/425 nailhead motors.. so they needed an adapter to connect them to the later Buick 350 with the standard 65-up BOP pattern).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts