Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those running 20" rims, what issues have you run into? I am wondering about getting 18" or 20" rims with 35's and would like to know if it is worth the extra $$$.

Some things I have heard/read include

• braking might not be as good
  • less get up and go due to more rotating mass
  • any diff in mpg between 18 and 20" ?
  • of course 20's cost more.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Personal preferance here......But 20s just arent my thing.
I switched from 17s to 18s and like the look. Running a set of 325/65/18 Toyo ATs vs the 305/70/17 GoodYear MTRs. Better choices in tires with the proper weight ratings in an 18 vs the 17s.......Not sure what the 20s will be like if in fact your worried about that and dont do any towing. If your thinking of doing a set of Willwoods or Brembos later your gonna need the 20s for either of them to fit inside of the rim. Lots of options get thrown out depending on what you are looking for in the end..........

You need a tranny before these anyway :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
IMO if you're even considering the 20's you'll regret getting 18's anytime you see a set.

I'm considering upgrading later to 20's even w/o a lift, I just plan to hack hack hack!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i have 20s, i just cranked the torsion bars a couple turns each

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have 20's on my truck and like them a lot. They say that your brakes don't work as good but I haven't noticed it yet. I just try to stay back from people so I don't have to slam on the brakes. I live in a smaller town so traffic isn't that bad...until I go down to Denver for weekends. I might look at bigger brakes but I might go back to my stock wheels next winter so they would still have to fit a 16" wheel. 20's with 35's looks really good...thats why I went with 20's. So when I do get a lift I will already have the wheels and will just need 35's or 37's! One thing to think about is you're already going to be running a larger tire so your braking isn't going to be as good as it was. Just go with 20's and you'll love them!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I have so much truck--crew/long that I picked 20's. It looks more proportional. The stock 16's looked way to small for my truck. I also bought 20's to fit a big brake kit someday!

·
Registered
789 Posts
personally I like the look of 18's :)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
wilsonck;1573768; said:
For those running 20" rims, what issues have you run into? I am wondering about getting 18" or 20" rims with 35's and would like to know if it is worth the extra $$$.

I have been runnig 20" rims since 2004, and all of the above are correct. The first thing I noticed was the lack of power with the 20's (I ran 37" Toyo's on my 03) and the second thing I noticed when I came to a stop that the breaking suffered. Never ran 18's, but my mileage went from a consistent 14 in town to 11-12 in town and highway mileage went from a consistent 18-19 to 14-15 and maybe if I was lucky 16. The cost of large diameter 20" tires is also alot more expensive that 17's, but 18" tires are not much less than 20's.

With my new ride, I am running 20" rims with no lift and 33" tires, and have not felt the associated brake loss but I have felt a little loss of power. I have also felt the tire choice in MPG's, as I was consistently gettting 14 mpg in town with stock tires and have been getting 13 as of late. The highway mileage has suffered too, I was gettin 18-19 on summer fuel and stock tires and the last trip I got 16-17with the 20's, but that was on winter fuel (trip to Idaho) so I am taking it with stride. I personally like the look of the combo I have right now, and have gotten many compilments on them, so it is worth the trade off.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The problem with aftermarket wheels and tires is that no two people will agree on the best combo. Buy what you like and be happy.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
This is exactly right! It also applies to everything you purchase, just buy want YOU want...............

TheJDMan;1577957; said:
The problem with aftermarket wheels and tires is that no two people will agree on the best combo. Buy what you like and be happy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wilsonck;1573768; said:

I have 20's on my truck with 33" tires. Yes the MPG did go down,Yes the braking changed a bit as did the get and go. 20" inch wheels has nothing to do with these issues. It's the size of the tire, a taller tire will effect all of these issues not the wheel.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks 2006LBZCCSWB, that is exactly what I was looking for, not which size looks better- 17, 18 or 20's, but other than good looks, what could I expect to encounter with the bigger rims.

And as you mentioned, it isn't the really the size of the rim, but the size of the tire. Since I know I am going with 35's, whether I get 17's or 20's, the size stays the same, and the weight of each rim/tire combo between the 17's or 20's will probably be close, the weight will either be in the rim or in the tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wilsonck;1580623; said:
thanks 2006LBZCCSWB, that is exactly what I was looking for, not which size looks better- 17, 18 or 20's, but other than good looks, what could I expect to encounter with the bigger rims.

And as you mentioned, it isn't the really the size of the rim, but the size of the tire. Since I know I am going with 35's, whether I get 17's or 20's, the size stays the same, and the weight of each rim/tire combo between the 17's or 20's will probably be close, the weight will either be in the rim or in the tire.

All I can tell you get what looks good to you and what you can afford to spend. There are no down sides to either way you go 17 18 19 20 22. just make sure of the back spacing and off set. Just to give an example my wheels are 20x9.5 with a 5" back space so that leaves 4.5" from the hub sticking out to the fender. Looks really good to me, the wheel is all most centered on the hub which is good for the bearings. A lot of neg offset will give you that deep dish look but it can be bad for the bearings also will make it harder for you to turn and clear the wheel wells lots of rubbing if it's not lifted enough. Positive offset pushes the wheel inward like a front wheel drive car better for turning maybe less rubbing, but you could run into issues with rubbing on a-arms and other suspension parts. Ask a lot questions before you buy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
GET WHAT YOU WANT is a very good theme.. my 18s have done very well.. of course I tow a bit from time to time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
MAX4X4;1578011; said:
This is exactly right! It also applies to everything you purchase, just buy want YOU want...............

x2

·
Registered
25 Posts
bobd;1577838; said:
personally I like the look of 18's :)

How much trimming did you do to get those 325-60's to fit? Do they rub at all? Im trying to get that pkg to fit w/ cognito arms, longer Bilsteins & 18 x 9 centerlines that have 5.0" of backspace.

That setup looks good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i have a set of 20's and 35's on my 04 dmax. the handling is helped out by havin less sidewall to flex under cornering and such. braking and acceleration are also afected by more rotational weight. in drag racing the rule of thumb that we use is 10 lbs of rotating weiht is equal to 100 of static weight which equals out to 1 tenth of a second slower ETs. basically you have more weight to get moving which takes more HP and TQ that isnt going to the seat of your pants acceleration that you feel when you hit the gas. i like the combo i have though. looks sharp IMO and im the only 1 around my area that has this set up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since I got some new 18" rims and tires, I should finish this by stating what I encountered.
  • braking - takes a bit more distance to slow down
  • trans shift points are different
  • mpg- maybe down a little
  • need to take off my front mudflaps due to offset of rim and slight rubbing when backing up and turning
  • But looks great!

·
Registered
187 Posts
ChrisHin;1577258; said:
I have 20's on my truck and like them a lot. They say that your brakes don't work as good but I haven't noticed it yet. I just try to stay back from people so I don't have to slam on the brakes. I live in a smaller town so traffic isn't that bad...until I go down to Denver for weekends. I might look at bigger brakes but I might go back to my stock wheels next winter so they would still have to fit a 16" wheel. 20's with 35's looks really good...thats why I went with 20's. So when I do get a lift I will already have the wheels and will just need 35's or 37's! One thing to think about is you're already going to be running a larger tire so your braking isn't going to be as good as it was. Just go with 20's and you'll love them!

what is your offset??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts