Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I'm needing a bit of help....

I have a 2016 LML. Elected to go with the S & B 'wet' filter intake. I had ran the same brand/style on my 2009 Powerstroke and liked it.

Long story short.. Having major issues.

Towed my 26 foot travel trailer 3500mi over a 30 day period and was plagued with intermittent check engine light. Had my own code reader, and this is what lit up:

Codes:
U0074,
P0234,
U029D,
U029E,
P11DB,
P11DC,
P205D,
P2263,
P2599,
P22FE
馃槵

The truck has 64k miles on it, and I have taken pristine care of it with all of the regular scheduled maintenance, premium fluids, etc.

I've been running Duramaxtuner tune file (in sport econ mode) since April 2018 and put about 25kmi on the truck. During the trip mentioned above, I ran their 'light tow' tune. Upon the check engine light coming on for the first time, I flashed the truck back to stock right away.

I've running the S&b intake since February 2020, and only put about 10k mi on the trick with it.

I brought the truck with check engine light into my local/friendly Chevrolet dealership that I have dealt with for a long time. They are giving me a tough time, mentioning that 'aftermarket air filters/intakes' are known to cause major problems with the LML platform - and that they'd strongly recommend removing it and replacing it with the stock air box. They mentioned specifically that they have even seen engine rebuilds due to air intake issues. (which I thought that seemed a bit extreme?) At the end of the day it's just an air filter...

The dealership also mentioned that the truck's Turbo is going to need to be replaced based on one of the codes above. Fortunately, they are going to cover it through warranty, despite the intake technically being an alteration of the platform.

Questions:

1. What do you think caused the Turbo to go out specifically - the Duramax Tuner tune, or the S&b intake?

2. Regrettably, I was on the fence, and decided to toss the stock intake after installing the s&b in truck. Chevrolet wants $950 for a replacement stock intake (parts). Should I remove the s&b, and repurchase a stock intake?

3. Doing a bit of research on the forums, I have heard that on the LML platform, the MAF sensor is known to have problems with even the slightest amount of filter oil being sucked in. With this, should I have gotten s&b's dry filter option instead? Should I loop in s&b on this issue and request they send me a dry filter?

4. The s&b intake came with a rubber plug that goes in the bottom of the intake box. It lists the piece as optional during install, obviously allowing for more airflow with the plug removed. I had left it out upon install. Would adding the plug back in make a difference / possibly help resolve this?

Long read.. Thanks for following along. I hope that this post helps others, and I also hope that someone might be able to shed a bit of light so I can figure out my next steps... As of right now, Chevrolet has a replacement turbo on order that will be here in the next week. I will need to decide what to do with the s&b. I want to avoid future issues as I plan to keep the truck for awhile.

Thx in advance!

Michael

2016 LML

Administrator
Welcome to DieselPlace
Diesel engines use way more air than a gasser engine.
The "wet filter" option is not a good choice due to the many problems it will cause in a Duramax.
First, no matter how much you clean the filter, it will retain dirt particles and will eventually become restrictive.
The oil used in the filter plays havoc with the MAF sensor and other components.
We always recommend using OEM filters. If you must go with a CAI (Cold Air Intake) then use dry filters only.

There's no way to know what the dealer tech did to determine the Turbo was bad. They could be throwing parts at it to solve an issue without doing proper diagnostics.
I would call S & B and tell them your situation. Ask if you can replace the "Wet" Filter with a Dry filter. If you can, problem solved.
If you have to change out the Air intake you can go back to stock. Start by browsing Craigslist or car-part.com or visiting wrecking yards in your local area and find one cheap.
The intake box plug would make no difference in this situation.

There are a couple of additional things I would do to help your LML.
Invest in a CTS2 Edge Monitor so you can monitor the engine on the go and have the ability to check injector balance rates, check codes, EGT, Fuel pressures, and more.

Second, upgrade your fuel system to help prevent the CP4 grenade issue by installing additional fuel filtration, adding a lift pump like a Kennedy Diesel, single lift pump to help keep positive fuel pressure flowing to the CP4, and purchase your fuels exclusively from well-used stations like Truck Stops ( ie. Flying J, Pilot, Loves, T/A, etc ).

These items will greatly help your LML engine and lessen the chance of any fuel issues that may lead up to a CP4 failure, that is a known problem with the LML..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

So, I reached out to S&B... I looped them in the recent issues. They offered to send me a stock LML air box set up to appease the Chevrolet dealership if it comes down to that, which I accepted. It arrived within a couple days. They also did made very strong point that they believe there is no chance that the s&b 'wet filter' (versus dry), had an impact on causing the check engine light / codes.

After doing more forum research, there's too much evidence to deny that a 'dry filter' is a better option for an LML. Accordingly, I ordered the S&B dry filter replacement option, and now have it innstalled in the truck.

The warranty turbo is on order and should arrive within the next 10 days. We will go from there!

Administrator
UPDATE:

So, I reached out to S&B... I looped them in the recent issues. They offered to send me a stock LML air box set up to appease the Chevrolet dealership if it comes down to that, which I accepted. It arrived within a couple days. They also did made very strong point that they believe there is no chance that the s&b 'wet filter' (versus dry), had an impact on causing the check engine light / codes.

After doing more forum research, there's too much evidence to deny that a 'dry filter' is a better option for an LML. Accordingly, I ordered the S&B dry filter replacement option, and now have it installed in the truck.

The warranty turbo is on order and should arrive within the next 10 days. We will go from there!
Great job!. If they had a very strong case that the S&B 'wet' filter wasn't the issue then they would not have offered to send you the stock filter airbox setup.
At least they are making things right for you.
I bet they have had many calls regarding that wet filter setup. (y)

Reactions: dirtracer455

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Welcome to DieselPlace
Diesel engines use way more air than a gasser engine.
The "wet filter" option is not a good choice due to the many problems it will cause in a Duramax.
First, no matter how much you clean the filter, it will retain dirt particles and will eventually become restrictive.
The oil used in the filter plays havoc with the MAF sensor and other components.
We always recommend using OEM filters. If you must go with a CAI (Cold Air Intake) then use dry filters only.

There's no way to know what the dealer tech did to determine the Turbo was bad. They could be throwing parts at it to solve an issue without doing proper diagnostics.
I would call S & B and tell them your situation. Ask if you can replace the "Wet" Filter with a Dry filter. If you can, problem solved.
If you have to change out the Air intake you can go back to stock. Start by browsing Craigslist or car-part.com or visiting wrecking yards in your local area and find one cheap.
The intake box plug would make no difference in this situation.

There are a couple of additional things I would do to help your LML.
Invest in a CTS2 Edge Monitor so you can monitor the engine on the go and have the ability to check injector balance rates, check codes, EGT, Fuel pressures, and more.

Second, upgrade your fuel system to help prevent the CP4 grenade issue by installing additional fuel filtration, adding a lift pump like a Kennedy Diesel, single lift pump to help keep positive fuel pressure flowing to the CP4, and purchase your fuels exclusively from well-used stations like Truck Stops ( ie. Flying J, Pilot, Loves, T/A, etc ).

These items will greatly help your LML engine and lessen the chance of any fuel issues that may lead up to a CP4 failure, that is a known problem with the LML..
Hey OKDually - thanks again for the info!

A couple follow-ups...

I've had an Edge Insight cts2 for the last couple years. I bought it at the same time that I bought the Duramax tuner, and have been running it ever since.

I use it to keep an eye on metrics - post turbo pressure, EGTs, fuel rail pressure, turbo pressure, engine coolant temp, etc.

A couple other questions:
You mentioned to watch for injector balances.. are there any specific LML parameters that you recommend I watch out for on the CTS2?

I've had lift pump upgrade on my list for a while... I'm thinking about doing it before the end of the year. Duramaxtuner recommended FASS165. You mentioned Kenney Diesel. Any other insight on this?

Thanks again,

Michael

Administrator
Hey OKDually - thanks again for the info.

A couple follow-ups...

I've had an Edge Insight cts2 for the last couple years. I bought it at the same time that I bought the Duramax tuner, and have been running it ever since.

I use it to keep an eye on metrics - post turbo pressure, EGTs, fuel rail pressure, turbo pressure, engine coolant temp, etc.

A couple other questions:
You mentioned to watch for injector balances.. are there any specific LML parameters that you recommend I watch out for on the CTS2?

I've had lift pump upgrade on my list for a while... I'm thinking about doing it before the end of the year. Duramaxtuner recommended FASS165. You mentioned Kenney Diesel. Any other insight on this?

Thanks again,

Michael
Injector balance rates can be +/- 4 If you see an Injector over +/- 4 you are having an issue.
If you see them creeping close to the 3.5 range I would run some AC/Delco Top end, Injector cleaner through them and recheck the rates.
There is a great thread over on the LB7 section that explains how to properly check balance rates:

FASS and Airdog pumps are a father/ son business and do about the same thing. and cost a little more.
Kennedy's lift pumps take up a little less room and are more economical to your wallet.
John Kennedy has been a long time Supporting Vendor of DieselPlace and posts in here often.

Look on his website. Kennedy Diesel
He has some great tech tips, install instructions and offers some great stuff for duramax owners.
You can contact him by phone or email and he can offer up some great advice!

Reactions: dirtracer455
1 - 7 of 7 Posts