Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the scenario...when i first bought my truck i went with autometer gauges both boost and pyro. then once the thermocouple after 50k or so snapped, which im hearing is more of a common problem than i thought, i went to isspro. they are accurate and all but i dont like the look. i like all the different looks you can get with autometer. to my question... i uninstalled all my isspro except the thermocouple stuff the other day, but before i order my new autometers im wondering if i should order the pyro with or without the the thermocouple. Isspro's is a type K as is autometer. their leadwires are a bit different, but other than that no major issues, right? autometer uses a type k. i guess what im wondering is will the autometer gauge work with me connecting autometer leads to the isspro leads and isspro type k probe??? the autometer guys seem to think yes, isspro seems to think yes, but i was reading in both the installs that leadwire length matters and by tapping in to the existing isspro with the autometer leads will that affect voltage and calibration of the gauge?? the autometer/isspro guys again think no, any seasoned guys out there with opinions on this??

·
Registered
283 Posts
There shouldn't be any reason why you can't use the Isspro pyro with an Autometer gauge. If both use a Type K thermocouple, then the Isspro's and Autometer's pyros should be interchangeable. Lead length should not affect the readings but the lead connections might. If you get the proper plug connectors then that won't be an issue either.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
02turbodeez,

It'll work fine, but remember except in a few cases the Auto Meter comes packaged with the thermocouple anyway, so you'll end up with one as a spare. Call us if you want we stock all the Auto Meters and we'll be glad to check and see if they have a no probe part in the model you select!

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, heres my question though, i have the edge thermocouple installed and want to just use it for my autometer pyro. I'll just cut the wires and peel back the wire mesh around it. But is the edge thermocouple a Type K? I think it is just making sure.

I think they are both yellow and red, just match them up, red to red, yellow to yellow? I assume they both use the same color convention if it even matters.

Also, the autometer thermocouples are common for breaking off? meaning it trashes a turbo? Should we maybe switch out thermocouples every year or so to avoid this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, i figured it would work fine, but just needed someone elses opinion. and having a spare wouldnt be a bad thing mark b/c like i have experienced myself and heard other experience the probes seem to stop working/break after a certain amount of time...thanks again

·
Registered
258 Posts
well the edge thermocouple doesnt work with the autometer gauges, one of the two must not be a type k. the guage just pegs to 1600. does anyone know if the edge thermocouple is the same size as the autometer one? i hope i can use the same mount in the manifold

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the edge must not be compatible then. but all the pyro probes should be type k. all the type k refers to is the temp range in which it will read...type j being low temp up to 800ish and k up to 16-1800ish...well im hoping ill have a bit better luck using the isspro probe with the autometer unit. ill keep you all posted for anyone looking to do the same in the future.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
To my knowledge the AM, Isspro and Edge are type K and should work, you do NOT want to run but one gauge off of the same thermo at the same time, otherwise you'll get a false reading. Why yours isn't working I don't know but it should if all is operable etc.

FYI, we have sold literally 1000's of AM pyros and never had one call back about a failed thermo.

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts