Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am in top gear.....I'm using the pedal to spool up the turbo just enough to start really gaining speed but not downshifting....Then I just bury my foot into the pedal and I'm reving like crazy, black smoke is pooring out...but I feel no forward progress. I know what limping is but I've read in this forum about zinging would this be it? Or is it just my Juice backing down power...Thanks in advance

Mark

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Speed limiter and zinging both have no revs ...

What your experiencing is the downshift between 5/4 .... My truck will just sit there screaming not gaining but the power is there if you were towing and say climbing a hill ... What it does is eliminate hunting for a gear ...

What I do is just let up allow the tranny to shift and I'm off like a rocket ...

Mac

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Mackin said:
Speed limiter and zinging both have no revs ...

Mac

When I had a top speed limiter on my Duramax truck, when it got up to 95-97 mph the truck run like if it had the cruise control set. Other then not going any faster, there was no way you would know you was at its limit. The truck never rev`ed or backed down what so ever.

Did this change on the 02`s? or did I get lucky?

Back too the subject at hand! That is not what a zing or limp is. Limping and Zinging the tranny is one and the same, other then setting a code. And it sure don`t sound like the rev limit.

I am not an expert with the Juice, so I don`t know about that. What it does sound like is the tranny going bad. But then again, that is how my 97 5.7L acted when the fuel pump was going out.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not an expert with the Juice, so I don`t know about that. What it does sound like is the tranny going bad. But then again, that is how my 97 5.7L acted when the fuel pump was going out

GASP
! Now that's a scary theory!!!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
When some one says REVS I attribute that to an increase in RPM neither happens at Speed limit and Zinging ...

I assure you I have a Suncoast stage V and when I force a downshift 5/4 at certain speeds (I never really pay attention ) it will scream rpm and sit flat like I'm not accelerating ... Ease up shift and I'm gone ...

Next time it does it ,ease up let it upshift shift ....

All these horror storys of spent trannys is over kill bal oney ... The ones stacking and running over 100 HP tunes are the ones doing damage ....The Juice is the best in the business for torque managment and tranny life ...

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
You should not get smoke on a speed limit or zing.

How many miles on the fuel filter?Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've changed the fuel filter twice in 15k service kennedy. So I know it's not that. I took my edge to level 2 just to be safe. They need to put a looking glass in the tranny where I can check out the clutch packs
. Mackin, tried that letting off the gas (oops I mean diesel)like a manual on the 4/5 upshift. Did help, but now my truck trembles between shifts like my converter is scared s**tless to go into the next gear. I put it in level 2 and is back to acting like it's normal self. Plus dare I say it feels faster in level 2 than in level 4. Oh well, only time will tell. Hey mackin, you changed the forum a little this place keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just trying to put this back at top

1 - 9 of 9 Posts