Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went up to Spokane and did some traffic driving with my truck. This was the first time I'd had her in real traffic type stuff, since where I live and go to school is very rural. In the 25 to 35 region, when I let off the throttle it felt like it kinda jerked, almost like it was slipping. I also felt it a little bit when I'd coast for a bit, and then gun it to get through a light. Nothing real extreme, but just enough to make me wonder if it was doing it. Does this sound normal? I am so used to the tranny in my Mom's Sub and my Dad's 6.5 (4L80??), and I never felt them doing this kind of thing. Thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Registered
706 Posts
Often I have noticed that if the TC is locked the tranny behave very similar to a standard, you can feel a jerk or lag in the driveline just like a standard tranny when coasting or changing speeds quickly. The fact that these motors create so much torque makes it more noticable.

i think you are fine, slipping w/ the ally only really occures if you have a major leak or you are pushing very hard in 5th gear with added power.

Don't worry

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 403. After reading your post, I am sure that it is the TC that I was feeling. It was the first time I had this rig in city type driving, and I guess I just didn't know what 520 lb/ft felt like. On a side note, these rigs make great freeway rigs. Power to pass people in the 60-70 range is abundant and instantaneous.

Bob

·
Registered
570 Posts
Mine does it. An example is; I'm going about 30mph and let off the peddle and coast for a few seconds and then get back on it there is a lag or jerk. It bugs me only because I'm not used to it, but I still love my truck.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I wonder if it's related to your lift tire size ....

You've changed driveline angle,gear ratio etc .... This has to affect the Allison ....

Mac

·
Registered
570 Posts
Let me correct myself or what I ment, it's really only a lag or delay and a very very light jerk if any, almost like it has to catch up or something (no gear slapping or pinging sounds). It shifts and drives very smooth It did it before the lift too. Thanks Mac for the suggestion though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts