Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know or has anybody done this? My buddy is looking to buy a 2500hd gasser, with high mileage so its cheap. He can get a dmax motor with all the computers and wires, and the allsion for a decent price. As far as i understand he would just need intercooler and a few other smaller items along with some changing or swapping of parts.

He wants to take out the gasser and drop the dmax in. Does anybody think this is gonna be a very difficult task????? Obvisouly anything can be done, we are just looking at minimal changes without going into major fabrication work without hackin and wackin.

We know the combo will fit, since we're staying with a 2500hd chassis. The things we are thinking that need changing are motor mounts, front and rear axle or at least hard parts, as the 6.0 comes with 4.10 rear end and dmax is 3.73(thats still debatable wether it gets changed), possibly driveshafts, and instrument cluster.

What do you think, can be done with relative ease or more of a pain in the a$$???? He's just looking at the cost of a used dmax truck at $29,000(cheapest we have found) compared to a gasser $16,000 + motor set-up $6000= $22,000, that still gives him $7000 for upgrades(tranny,modules and such) for the same cost of a stock dmax . We would do all labour, so that is free and not a $$$$ issue. Ya hes a power junky like us, what a sick man.

Anything major that we might have overlooked, or are blind too???? This has just been on the drawing board since since last night, so its in the early stages. Thanks for any input. Later Jeremy
Edited by: heartbeatcanada

·
Registered
612 Posts
Would be an interesting project but one that is way beyond my meager mechanical skills. Think you may need to take a look at the fuel system, I believe requirements for carrying diesel are somewhat different than those for carrying gasoline.

Jim

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Dont forget to change the fuel sender, the rear axle assembly, we use 11.5 inch in ours, only the dmax and the 8.1 share that. Dont forget the transfer case, dont forget to change all the wiring/related stuff for the trans. I dont know for sure but I think the core support is different as well, the radiator is different. Steering gear box.......

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
This project is best left with the assembly line in Pontiac Michigan ...

Mac

·
Registered
220 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Dont forget to change the fuel sender, the rear axle assembly, we use 11.5 inch in ours, only the dmax and the 8.1 share that. Dont forget the transfer case, dont forget to change all the wiring/related stuff for the trans. I dont know for sure but I think the core support is different as well, the radiator is different. Steering gear box.......

Dont forget the hydraboost brakes either. Gassers
have vacuum assist brakes, diesels do not...

IMHO, your buddy should buy a high-mileage one. I
think both of you would come out ahead - less
headaches. Your time spent converting a gasser
has to be worth something too right? Factor that
into the buy/build equation and I think you'd go
with the "buy" decision.

good luck,

T.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Go for it, it's the American car buff way! LOL. If he could get that DMAX with the frame it would then only be a body switch! Much easier.

Broker can probably get you a DMAX for under $20K, then swap the newer motor and tranny.

It's an ambitious project to say the least, but maybe the first of many in the future.

Good Luck

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you and your buddy are looking at each with beer in hand trying to figure out where we went wrong,think about all these posts that they to deter ya.....michigan does a great job.Sometime's a headache has no limit or PRICE.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Think your buddy should look at a truck the year/model of the one the enginge came from andake abetter list of difference of that truck and his own. Don't for get modifiation to fuel tank drop ins, Drive shaft and frame change and exhaust system. Also if that engine came from a front or rear end wreck I'd question the alignmrnt of the rods and crank shaft. What about the Allison Tranny. If your buddies looking at a 2001, he might want to have some reserve cash for sudden fixes. Is the frame of your buddies truch heavy duty like the Durmax HD trucks. Lots of luck.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like these projects were worthy 25 years ago, but this one may be more work than it appears . Purchasing a high mile Dmax and rebuilding it, may be the best idea!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. For sure there would be alot of hidden costs or problems that pop up unexpected. Its totally up to him on what he does, but would be more than willing to help. Definetely would be a learning experience......... i think.
Probably when all said and done and headaches gone, we'd look back and say never again.................until the next time.
Will let you know if the project is ago. Thanks again Jeremy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts