Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy with 6.5L and he is sick and tired of replacing the injection pump every 13-15 months....he is wondering if there is a way too retro-fit an injection pump form the 6.2L onto his engine....kind of like P-Pumping a cummins 24V. He figures this will be a little more reliable. So is it possible??

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Replacing the injection pump every 13-15 months? 3 words:

Oh My Gawd.

Has your buddy been going to a dealer to get all this done? There is no way in the world that his IP is dying once a year. None.

Chances are pretty much 100% that his PMD is crapping out once a year, and the DoDo Dealer is replacing the whole thing out of ignorance.

Send your buddy over here and we can fix him up for a heck of a lot less than that. jeez... us Canucks are supposed to know better than that.

Have him contact Nickg or Silvy ( members on here ) ... they live in Edmontonchuk.

·
Registered
969 Posts
jeez, get your buddy on this board pronto,

·
Registered
953 Posts
I agree with the guys. There is NO WAY you should be re-doing the IP every year. He likely needs an 'out of the engine bay' mounted FSD, and should run a gallon or two of biodiesel in every tank for lubricity and cleaning.

Sincerely,

Rob :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Another Edmonton area DP member here who would be willing to help

·
Registered
170 Posts
what is the year on this rig??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is a 1998..... it is actually the electronic timing in the pump that is crapping out, but none the less, he wants too go all mechanical, that way there is no electronics. Is there any way too throw the 6.2L pump on there?? If not he is just gonna throw a 12v cummins in there.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
yes but the electronic IP IMO is the better pump, your friend has just been burned by inept dealers, I doubt that a 13 month old IP is having actual timing issues,

If determined to install a mechanical IP he needs to PM member Bobbie Martin about getting one of his how to do it guides, OBD-IIs (98) are not as simple to swap as OBD-Is

·
Registered
318 Posts
it is a 1998..... it is actually the electronic timing in the pump that is crapping out, but none the less, he wants too go all mechanical, that way there is no electronics. Is there any way too throw the 6.2L pump on there?? If not he is just gonna throw a 12v cummins in there.
Let me know if he goes the 12V route:D
I could use an "old" IP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts