Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Was out changing the Front End, Rear End and Transfer Case over to Mobil 1 Synthetic fluids today. I noticed the above seapage from the output shaft of the transmission. Is this normal? I have noticed no fluid where I park, but I was able to get a drop of fluid on my finger from the rubber boot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nope, I don't think it is normal. It could be a number a different things. I would guess the seal at the output yoke is bad or the yoke itself is worn.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is normal. Slip yokes always leak a little (at least a little). The yoke rotates AND slides in and out in that seal. There is no way to keep it completely dry. Edited by: Black Dog

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If you get drips on your driveway or garage floor from it, then I would say not normal. A little dampness isn't abnormal IMHO

·
Registered
145 Posts
I too would agree that the seal should be damp, but no drips. A question though. Is that input shaft yoke going into your transmission Rusty? This could be of concern as movement of the driveshaft will eventualy wear out the seal if it is rusty. I have had this happen with vehicles sitting around before. A quick cure when replacing the seal is to sand the yoke with 220 grit emery cloth until completly clean ( no high spots or rust on the entire area immediately exitng the seal area, aproximately 1/2" should be shinny beyond seal, this shouldn't take much sanding... to much sanding will change the shaft O.D., but that would be a lot ) then I coat the sanded area with Hi Temp Disc Brake Grease. This inturn allows for the driveshaft to move in and out of the transmission as necessary on a smooth lubricated surface without damageing the seal. I do also check the grease on every other oil change and reapply as necessary.

I have never had any issues with my vehicles after doing this procedure. Hope it helps if necessary. Fran

·
Registered
101 Posts
Black Dog said:
That is normal. Slip yokes always leak a little (at least a little). The yoke rotates AND slides in and out in that seal. There is no way to keep it completely dry.
Thats funny I have over 40,000 miles on mine and it is dry. Oh well. Wonder if mine being dry is a problem????

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Here is the tail of a 4x4 Allison with T-case adapter attached , Note the weep hole ....

The T-case slides on the spline and has a front seal which is very pricy ....

I'm not sure on placement position or rear seal on a 4x2 but yours appears to be weeping .... I wouldn't panic just keep an eye on it ...

Mac

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't have in my sig, truck is a 4X4. Don't think that makes much difference with the weaping. The truck only has 8600 miles on it. Should I be more concerned due to low miles? I will watch fluid level very close.

If it will just hold until I can talk the wife into Juice/Additude/Suncoast Tranny mods I will be happy!!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you have a 4x4 is it not your T-case leaking then .... I guess I were confused when you said transmission ....

If it's a bad seal it's a easy job for the dealer ....

Mac

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think RSDay75 pic is the output shaft of the tranny. The transfer case shaft has a metal retainer strap around the boot. Note also location of exhaust pipe.( Not trying to be a smart a**)When I greased the splines on mine a while back there looked to be a bit of seepage also. Hard to tell if it was tranny fluid or a bit of the original spline grease leaching out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, it is the output shaft on the tranny. Some have said a little seapage is normal, others have said there should be none. I have seen some with seapage, and some without. I just wanted to know what others were seeing. Doesn't seem to be much, I have noticed nothing on the ground where I park. I'm just curious.....(and a little particular about my truck......
)

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I guess you guys have a whole differnt Allison ,T-case setup then mine ... The picture I posted above is the 1000 series transmission that comes standard in Duramax trucks ... Bolted on the back of that is an adapter for the T-case for the 4x4 ... That 7 bolt circle you see is ready to accept the T-case studs ....

From the rear output side of the T-case I will then shove the spline of my driveshaft which will then connect to the rear end ....

Now IF it was a 2x4 then it would have an entirely different tailpiece to accept direct connection to the driveshaft not the T-case ....

Therefore if it is 4x4 the driveshaft is stuck into the back of the rear output of the T-case not the Allison ...That would make the T-case leaking in this paticular instance ...

That is the end of the line for the Allison in the picture above as the T-case is a seperate sealed unit ....

What am I missing ?? That is the rear driveshaft I see in the Picture provided right ??

Mac

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mackin

My mistake, it is a picture of the rear drive shaft off the back of the transfer case. This was only a test

1 - 15 of 15 Posts