Diesel Place banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright..............so if they fail so frequently and randomly after a few 10's of thousands of miles you might as well and just wait until they fail. I am at 15 years old and over 510,000 miles with zero issues with either sensor. Personally I have not seen that many fail to worry about it to this extent but to each their own.
They're cheaper to replace than most tow bills. I think I paid $110ish for both. They're near impossible to diagnose without a Scope, so checking it in a parking lot is very unlikely. Finding a good sensor in the middle of nowhere isn't my idea of entertainment. Then there's trying to find a shop that can competently diagnose it and the down time impact on the travel schedule etc. Took like 60sec to swap both since all the work was already done.
So I mention it so they can make their own determination. After my own experiences I'd rather do it when convenient. But if you disagree...that's your choice and freedom

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
They're cheaper to replace than most tow bills. I think I paid $110ish for both. They're near impossible to diagnose without a Scope, so checking it in a parking lot is very unlikely. Finding a good sensor in the middle of nowhere isn't my idea of entertainment. Then there's trying to find a shop that can competently diagnose it and the down time impact on the travel schedule etc. Took like 60sec to swap both since all the work was already done.
So I mention it so they can make their own determination. After my own experiences I'd rather do it when convenient. But if you disagree...that's your choice and freedom
So what is the guarantee the new sensor will not fail if they supposedly fail so often and randomly after just 10,000+ miles ? Sometimes the original part is better than the replacement unless there is an updated one due to some type of issue.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what is the guarantee the new sensor will not fail if they supposedly fail so often and randomly after just 10,000+ miles ? Sometimes the original part is better than the replacement unless there is an updated one due to some type of issue.
There are no guarantees, anything can fail, at any time for no reason. Obviously the odds are a sensor with 0 miles will be more reliable than one with 400k on it. It also says use Genuine Delco sensors, they have the best success life and compatibility. They would be the same as what's in there.
Nobody is saying YOU HAVE to change it. Don't it's your choice, everyone here is adult enough to make their own risk assessment. The OP asked what else should be changed while in there. No need to argue with productive useful answers

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
There are no guarantees, anything can fail, at any time for no reason. Obviously the odds are a sensor with 0 miles will be more reliable than one with 400k on it. It also says use Genuine Delco sensors, they have the best success life and compatibility. They would be the same as what's in there.
Nobody is saying YOU HAVE to change it. Don't it's your choice, everyone here is adult enough to make their own risk assessment. The OP asked what else should be changed while in there. No need to argue with productive useful answers
I've had some Genuine Delco sensors fail right out of the box.. Parts quality today is not what it used to be.
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Reactions: ShopSpecialties

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I've had some Genuine Delco sensors fail right out of the box.. Parts quality today is not what it used to be.
If it ain't broke don't fix it
That is the frustrating thing sometimes with parts. These suppliers for GM will provide a good part to start with but when they start mass production of replacement ones they look for ways to cut corners to increase profit.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Put in a Napa pump which is made by gates. I didn't use the included seals though. They looked cheap. Bought the felpro 71347 set, which had a rtv/metal gasket for the coolant pipe.
Also changed the thermostats while I was at it. And i'd recommend getting the oem ones, since it seems most aftermarket are made by motorad, and just looked cheap.
And I thought guys on here were exaggerating about the balancer bolt being tight. Boy they were right. It's a must to have a 40" 3/4" breaker bar, and you still might need a pipe extension.
Overall this is a pain in the ass job.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts