Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a pain is it? And what all else should i change while I'm there?

And I can't even tell what kind of bolts those are due to rust? Torx?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Looks like water pump but to double check look from the top down to see if it is the short hose or o-ring. It is a fun job to do and book pays about 8 hours to do it.

Those are studs with nuts.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like water pump but to double check look from the top down to see if it is the short hose or o-ring. It is a fun job to do and book pays about 8 hours to do it.

Those are studs with nuts.
Hmm. I didn't even look on top....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is this what you are referring to? It looks dry.
So only other option is the pump?
Did some quick reading, should I just get a tru flo pump at Napa? And some seals? And will i need new studs and nuts?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Personally I prefer OEM parts for this.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally I prefer OEM parts for this.

I looked again below, and the coolant seems to be coming from that square opening.
As for oem, my local dealer wants 375 just for the pump. And if I order from rockauto, I won't get it till next week. I can get a Napa pump for 150. Heck from reading on here, some have had bad luck even with an acdelco pump.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I looked again below, and the coolant seems to be coming from that square opening.
As for oem, my local dealer wants 375 just for the pump. And if I order from rockauto, I won't get it till next week. I can get a Napa pump for 150. Heck from reading on here, some have had bad luck even with an acdelco pump.
If you already had your mind set on the cheap Napa junk then why ask ?
Amazon has AcDelco for $138.95

·
Administrator
19,363 Posts
If it were mine I would drive it for a week and wait till the Rockauto order comes in.(y)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you already had your mind set on the cheap Napa junk then why ask ?
Amazon has AcDelco for $138.95
I actually stopped by napa to see the pump. It had the back housing and the three seals. And it made by gates. Still no good?
Is this the right one from Amazon? But I'd need to buy seals and studs separately?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it were mine I would drive it for a week and wait till the Rockauto order comes in.(y)
I have some free time this week, so I'd really like to knock it out now.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
GM and changing part numbers every other week is annoying. The one I used was AcDelco 251-7148 and I think I just bought the gaskets in a kit or separately.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read a couple recent threads here, where members said the acdelco pumps whined, and then went with Napa, with no issues. I'll try the napa too...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GM and changing part numbers every other week is annoying. The one I used was AcDelco 251-7148 and I think I just bought the gaskets in a kit or separately.
How did you remove your crank/balancer bolt? Keep engine from turning. I see the lisle 22100 tool, but not sure if that works on the vans.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
How did you remove your crank/balancer bolt? Keep engine from turning. I see the lisle 22100 tool, but not sure if that works on the vans.
The Lisle tool might wedge in between the flywheel and case or use a prybar. The balancer bolt is tight so make sure you have a long cheater to break it loose.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a job...definitely the hardest water pump I've ever had the pleasure of doing. But there's a bunch of info and part numbers. Just verify yours
LMM WATER PUMP
08 LMM Water Pump tips and Part Numbers
Haven't tackled it yet. May start tomorrow evening.
I have an 06 duramax....lly. Not sure about your thread showing cam and crank sensors?? Is that engine that different?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I am still on my original cam/crank sensors so I would not worry about them.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
14 Posts
Haven't tackled it yet. May start tomorrow evening.
I have an 06 duramax....lly. Not sure about your thread showing cam and crank sensors?? Is that engine that different?
Should be very similar. If you're right there...might as well. It's a pain to get to later. 1 is on front about 3-4" up and Left of crank pulley and other is around L eft side, as you're facing engine looking down in at front. The Pic indicates where it is, he's pointing at the Camshaft sensor

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am still on my original cam/crank sensors so I would not worry about them.

Problem is they may just randomly fail leaving you stranded with NO idea why it won't start. I had another GM with about 105k on it and the crank sensor intermittently started creating a multiple misfire and gradually got worse over about 1 1/2 yrs. Finally would barely run and after exhaustingly checking everything else I narrowed it down to the crank sensor, then while I was waiting for it...I got a code for it. Swapped a new $45 sensor in and poof runs like new.

In another older GM with probably 150K, it just randomly wouldn't start, towed to a shop and $300 later it runs fine.

A bit of research and you'll find they frequently fail randomly after a few tens of thousands of miles. So I threw new in since it was at 300k. Keep the old in the glove box as a spare in case I'm out traveling or something

It's just a tip and not a requirement. Do your own research and make your own determination

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Problem is they may just randomly fail leaving you stranded with NO idea why it won't start. I had another GM with about 105k on it and the crank sensor intermittently started creating a multiple misfire and gradually got worse over about 1 1/2 yrs. Finally would barely run and after exhaustingly checking everything else I narrowed it down to the crank sensor, then while I was waiting for it...I got a code for it. Swapped a new $45 sensor in and poof runs like new.

In another older GM with probably 150K, it just randomly wouldn't start, towed to a shop and $300 later it runs fine.

A bit of research and you'll find they frequently fail randomly after a few tens of thousands of miles. So I threw new in since it was at 300k. Keep the old in the glove box as a spare in case I'm out traveling or something

It's just a tip and not a requirement. Do your own research and make your own determination
Alright..............so if they fail so frequently and randomly after a few 10's of thousands of miles you might as well and just wait until they fail. I am at 15 years old and over 510,000 miles with zero issues with either sensor. Personally I have not seen that many fail to worry about it to this extent but to each their own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts