Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this a few times in the last month of so.

When I am backing up, there is a pretty good shake going on. At the frequency of about 2 or 3 times per second. Grip, slip, grip, slip, so on. Its a big shake too.

I was backing up a hill at idle, and slipping the clutch to hook up a trailer. While slipping the clutch, this happens. It is not an engine surge. Im not using any throttle.

Notice it a little in first gear, but not much.

Ive also noticed increased rattling coming from that area. Sounds like something is flapping down there when Im just crusing along.

With a 40 hp tune, it rattles pretty good when you get on it. Some of that seems to be coming from the boost gauge, but not all of it.

Am I just paranoid, or is this gonna take a dump on my trip?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
It sounds like all the symptoms of a flywheel. One key clue is when it is first started on a cold morning their is a noticable rumble/rattle coming from under the truck.
Mine was always drivable and my first one came completly apart after driving it for 6,000 miles like that. When that flywheel starts shimmying you better request a new pressureplate too. My was squeaking as a result of the flywheel. I had two good days of driving it after new pressure plate flywheel and slave cylinder/through out bearing. Then the rattle came back and three days later the squeak came back. I want it fixxed.

The realy weird thing about this whole deal is my father has a 02 Dmax ZF 6 speed mason dump with 40K on it and he his truck sounds the way it should you only here the enginge no flywheel noise or clutch noise at all.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great...

The closest dealer to me has an ******* for a service manager. Ide hate to be the one that let them experiment with their knowledge of a 6 speed truck...

I guess Ill just keep driving until it goes south...!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts