Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my problem i have been experiencing is if i run the truck hard when warm for a few minutes, then go to an idle, after 30 seconds or so it starts to idle rough and smokes lots of blue....

now if i let it idle for about 15 minutes it seams to smarten up and idle fine once again....

and when running rough if you shut the truck off and restart, idle is back to normal

also when the truck is cold it idles fine

i am not sure if this is a injector problem, wiring problem, or computer problem, but i do know it can always be corrected by restarting the truck

the cylinder that misses is #1 that i can tell with my software, gives a balance rate of 10, after restarting the balance rate is around 1 and all other balance rates are close to 0 or a bit below

i have added lots of fuel treatment and will not go away

this problem started at Christmas and never had before...

any ideas would help lots, thanks again

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If the balance rate is positive, it is trying to add fuel to that cylinder to speed up crankshaft rotation. Sounds like an injector that is incapable of flowing what it is commanded to flow. Keep in mind a balance rate for a particular cylinder can actually be trying to correct a cylinder that fires before or after the one with the high rate. I would perform a compression test first, and if that is OK, I would look to injectors. Usually even the slightest electrical issue will set codes.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if it was an injector, why does it seam to work good sometimes like after startup, are on idle after 10 minutes, it always corrects itself...

is their any how to to do a compression test on the max, any idea how long this will take, and what tools needed, thanks ben

If the balance rate is positive, it is trying to add fuel to that cylinder to speed up crankshaft rotation. Sounds like an injector that is incapable of flowing what it is commanded to flow. Keep in mind a balance rate for a particular cylinder can actually be trying to correct a cylinder that fires before or after the one with the high rate. I would perform a compression test first, and if that is OK, I would look to injectors. Usually even the slightest electrical issue will set codes.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
I've heard of injectors doing that before. Sounds like it's your turn.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i changed the #1 injector the other day, and no luck, now it shows the balence rate of #1 as 7 and #2 at 15, the rest look good, not sure if i should do number 2 or just change them all..

is their a easy way to check a used injector to see if they can be reused or need to be replaced, i do have a baker high pressure pump i can hook up to them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts