Diesel Place banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2004 Duramax 3500. The 8th character in the VIN# is "2". ALSO, in the glove box I noticed the LLY code (along with tons of other codes). I missed the production date but the VIN ends with 194613, which I thought might be an earlier production VIN.

SO...is this an LLY engine then? If so, what is the HP and ft/lbs of torque?

the truck is fairly low mileage (50K miles) but they've been hard miles, possibly an oil rig or logger's truck. But at that mileage, it's pretty hard to have really rat-bagged it too bad isn't it? they should stand up fairly well to hard driving??

THANKS!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just checked Wikpedia, wow, some great tech info there. Anyways, seems LLY is 310HP and 605 ft/lbs tourque. biggest difference seems to be the garrett turbo, egr valve and reduced emissions attempt.

overheating issues, possibly leading to blown head gaskets seem to be worst issue/complaint. I guess I'd put in an exhaust and gauges and just watch it from there.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
this is also in the FAQ at the top of the page where it says to go here before posting ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
geez, thanks for directing me to the FAQs, which I already read. After carefully reading through the FAQs, I eventually found something that said if the 8th digit in the VIN is 2, then it's an LLY. Someone might also want to add that there are codes inside the glovebox that will tell you the engine type aswell (altho sometimes the codes are missing inside the glove box). I apologize for being over-abundantly cautious before I dump $22K on an '04 truck, only to find out there may be some other criteria or issue that determines if it is an LLY. I just thought the VIN # seemed early, and I thought the LLY didn't come out until the later models in '04.

AND, that wasn't the only question I asked. Anyways, it turns out this truck was written off due to vandalism and it's a rough, ex-work truck. I think the price reflects the rough condition and rebuild status, but wifey & banker veto-ed me so we won't be getting this one.

If you want to delete this thread altogether, that's fine with me. I'm not going to get this truck anyways, so all my questions become irrelavant.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Production date

I think you will find the production date on the inside of the driver's door.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had read the "LLY FAQ" link, but the other link you posted I had not seen. I found similar info on Wikpedia that was in your link. And BTW, thanks! It was helpful. The "How to tell if it's an LLY" Q was several Qs down, and only mentioned the VIN thing. I thought there might be more to it than that. My point is, I did try to do a search first before wasting everyone's time.

But anyways, I can see if you're on these forums a lot, then it would get frustrating to see the new guys come slithering in, asking the same old stuff that's already posted somewhere!! :eek::

so here's a different spin (should probably be a new topic!!): after reading the link you posted, I'm wondering if the LB7 with a few simple mods wouldn't be a better and more cost effective option than an LLY? I'd like an LBZ, but the prices are beyond my reach. I was thinking of adding exhaust, chip and temp gauges, which I think should only cost about $1,000. So if i can get an older rig and do that.......???? Only issues I've generally heard about are injectors on the '01.

G

·
So here's a different spin (should probably be a new topic!!): after reading the link you posted, I'm wondering if the LB7 with a few simple mods wouldn't be a better and more cost effective option than an LLY? I'd like an LBZ, but the prices are beyond my reach. I was thinking of adding exhaust, chip and temp gauges, which I think should only cost about $1,000. So if i can get an older rig and do that.......???? Only issues I've generally heard about are injectors on the '01.
The LB7 has known injector issues, which prompted GM to extend their warranty to cover 'em up to 200k miles, IIRC. The EPA crap isn't on the LB7, which is a good thing, and as a result, they are known to get a little better fuel mileage. The LLY would get you a variable vane turbo, but with a restrictive turbo mouthpiece... but also comes with EPA junk (all of which is fairly easy and reasonably cheap to correct).

I think the trick here is to just find a good truck - LB7 or LLY - with low mileage in great condition that's not been trashed. If you choose to tune the truck up... that's great... but I personally would rather find a bone stock truck and tune it up myself. The likelihood that it's not been overly thrashed is better.

Quick price list:
  • Gauges/pillar - $250-$350
  • Exhaust - $350-$500
  • Tuner - $250 and up
  • Intake (a must for the LLY) - $200 +/-
So... $1000 is close - certainly attainable if you buy some stuff used and/or are willing to do some work yourself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I bought my 04 LLY new in Albera I understood it was 590 lb/ft torque, I think the 05's jumped up over 600.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Something to think about-- Anytime you bump the horsepower up --- something like 100 plus, and drive it hard, you will be stressing the transmission and soon will "Limp" it. The transmission up grede is expensive- like $2,500 and higher. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.