Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 10K miles on my 03 2500HD and it's been running like a charm until recently.

I've started to notice that when making turns I feel an intermittent rattling/knocking from the steering column. (The sensation is felt on the steering wheel itself but the noise/feel originates from the column). While it doesn't seem to matter if the road is smooth or not it does seem to be more pronounced on a bumpy surface. The problem is getting worse and even on a straight stretch on the highway I believe I can feel it sometimes.

If I listen carefully I can even hear this knocking sound from within the steering column.

Steering doesn't waiver at all on a straight road it just feels like there's something loose inside the column!

I'm taking it in to the dealer on Tuesday but I sure would like to suggest to the mechanic what it might be based upon feedback from this group.

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
89 Posts
RB211,

It sounds like the steering intermediate shaft needs to be lubricated. The bulletin number for an '02 is 00-02-35-003C, unless something was changed this should apply to your truck also.

JoeEdited by: Joe Pool

·
Registered
267 Posts
Timely that someone asked this question. I picked my truck up a week ago for having the 2piece rear d-shaft replaced by a single piece (TSB), and driving home when I leave a stop under heavy throttle, there is a very significant clunk. I can feel it through the steering wheel, and it feels like left front area of the suspension.

I know it was not there before I took it in, and I can't see how the new rear d-shaft would cause this. I've only felt the clunk occur once while not leaving from a stop with >~30% throttle, and that was over a rough section of road going about 20mph but also under heavy throttle.

Any ideas? Linked to this TSB? I just ran out of warranty...
TIA.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My 03 has just started to do this also when going over bumpy roads while turning slightly, Thanks for the info.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just brought in my truck for the same problem. They replaced the shaft instead of lubricating it. It was good for about a week, but now it seems to be coming back. Looks like I need to bring it back in for the lube. Sucks GM has not fixed the problem yet(I had the same issue on my '99 silverado)

Chilly

·
Registered
391 Posts
HAS ANYONE SUGGESTED "THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL" IS LOOSE?

·
Registered
117 Posts
mpl897 said:
HAS ANYONE SUGGESTED "THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL" IS LOOSE?

I have heard that before

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took mine into the dealer this morning and two hours later it was done. They did treat the problem as a intermediate steering column lubricant problem - dry spline.

They put the new type of lubricant in and the steering is back to a nice stiffer feel with no knocking on partial turns.

Thanks for the input guys....hope this lubricnt lasts!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My truck has developed a rubbing noise at the steering wheel. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lmac--Mine has a rubbing sound, but only when I come to a stop and making a left hand turn. Eric, our site mechanic, said his does the same thing but has not found out what is causing it yet. Mine does have the steering clunk, but have not taken it in for a fix yet. Edited by: TX-DMAX

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the same clunk on mine and feels like in the same location (under the drivers side floorpan). I do not however feel it in the steering. Could this still be the same issue?

I had the truck on a lift, checked front end and changed over shocks to Bilstiens and couldnt find anything wrong.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have had the clunk in my 02 since the truck had 4000 miles. Dealer did the lube job and it lasted for a couple months. Took it back when I went in for service and they replaced the shaft. That lasted a few months. Took it back and they did the lube job on the new shaft. That lasted a couple months. It's been back for the past 8 months or so. I'm due for another service next month so maybe they'll try something new. I'll ask for the steering box bearing this time. Later

LA DMAX

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Hello All,

I have been plagued by the steering lube issue as well. In an effort to take matters into my own hands, this is what I have come up withso far.

Hello,
I own a 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD. There is a reacurring problem with a steering wheel vibration/clunk. There is a facotry fix called intermediate steering shaft lube procedure. I have had this done and it was only a temporay fix. Do you have any replacement parts that will fix problem?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Colorado

Dear Jeff,
We do offer a truck slip shaft,that includes two steering u-joints.
We do not have an application for your truck(due to being such a late model)however with some measurements from you,we're sure we can supply you with what you're looking for.
Please start by measuring from the tip of the shaft at the end of the column,to the tip of the shaft on the input shaft of the steering box/rack.
We'll also need to know the diameters and spline counts of the column's shaft,and the steering box/rack.
This truck shaft is a slip/collapsible shaft,and sells for $239.00

Best Rgards,
Tech Dept.
Flaming River Ind.
800-648-8022

·
Registered
127 Posts
You would think a possible fix for this would be a zerk fitting on the shaft where the grease is needed. Is there some reason this idea couldn't work???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts