Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I have been scanning this forum for a while... I have been considering selling my Ford and going back to a Chevy.. But it seems there are more grips and failings with the Duramax than if I keep my 97 F-350. Where do I go to read about the good rigs that don't spend all the time in the shop...
Not looking for a fight just really starting to think a smooth ride is not worth the hassel... thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have not had alot of problems with my truck. ( only one ) You have to remember that people will always have more than the normal problems with there truck when they start changing factory settings. ( ie computer, hotroding etc.....) These trucks come from the factory ( any brand ) and are only able to do so much, but when you start to push the limits of any vehicle you are going to have more than the normal problems. I'm very happy with my truck and will keep it for a long time.

Good Luck With Your Search,
Mike

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Luck of the draw. No issues with mine so far!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I love my truck! I will never go back to a gas truck that is for sure. I have had mine back to the dealer for a couple of minor issues. But the word I've gathered from where I live is that the Chevy's (duramax) are a pretty tough truck, Coming from a crowd of Cummins drivers! Hope this helps!
Good luck with your descision.

05 2500HD D/A SC 4x4 4" turbo back, Gauges, Mac Intake, Big G, 285x75 MT's

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've had a few minor issues with mine, but that's to be expected. I've NEVER owned anything that was trouble-free completely. Maybe it's just my nature...who knows.

All in all, you can bet I'll be driving another Dmax when this one is traded.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
They all have their problems. Nothing is imune.

·
Registered
702 Posts
remember, this is a forum, and people come here to post there problems and find help for the problems they are having

they don't come here to say "hey, I had another great day with my truck today, it ran fine, no problems"

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
remember, this is a forum, and people come here to post there problems and find help for the problems they are having

they don't come here to say "hey, I had another great day with my truck today, it ran fine, no problems"
This is very true. 99% of the posts on this site are about problems, however, that 99% of our members only account for less than 5% of the trucks actually on the roads so don't let that discourage you. We know more about these trucks than the dealers do and we have several very very talented and knowledgeable people here.

97 PSD is the 7.3 right? Those are good, strong motors. The duramax is nothing like a PSD. The tranny is bigger and better, the engine is quieter while making more power.

good luck with your choice
B.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
i have an on going issue with oil in my coolant but i still love the truck. it runs great and does what ever i need it too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hay, I had another great day with my truck today, it ran fine, no problems!!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I only have 45K on mine, but so far haven't had a single problem. I took it in once to have the hydraboost tested for the recall, but it was fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
14K on mine, 9 of them with mbrp exhaust and juice/attitude. Not one issue yet. No overheating, no codes, no nothing but smiles everyday. It flat out hauls ass, drives super smooth, pulls my trailer up the pass faster than most of the cars on the road; I'm so happy I can't stand it. Mine rocks!

My only complaint/dislike is the mileage isn't all that great, 16-18 around town, 11-13 towing. Ok, but not "wow my diesel gets great mileage."
A lot of it is the newer diesel emissions technology though, Cummins motors always got great mileage, but a friend with an '06 2500 only gets around 16, not much better.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Unless you just really want a Chevy; I would keep the old stroke. Those are good motors/trucks, and will last a long time if properly taken care of. Is the $ for a new truck worth it if you like what you have?

Eric

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
22,000 miles of abuse has resulted in my truck going in for service once. The very first week the door squeeked when it was shut. Speaker screw was a little loose.

Beyond that, this is the best truck I have ever owner by far, bar none. Best thing I ever did was trade in my 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi Quad cab for this Duramax. And in my opinion, Fords are ok but they are just really boring vehicles overall.

In summary, another great day with no problems with my truck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well I Have Had A 1994,2001,03, And Now The 2005. Would Not Trade This One For Anything. Not One Problem With Any Of Them..

Arm

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love my truck! I REALLY love it after the Boost Stick install! 30,000 HEAVY RT foot miles and no issuses. My truck has been in the shop once for a steering shaft replacment, and drives likke a new truck again. It all comes down to what you want, but these are great trucks!

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
No one could peel me outta mine. As long as I'm armed that is....Protecting my investment.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Look I'm not brand loyal by any means. Each truck has it pluses and minuses. I have a gmc and my brothers each have an 03 cummins and an 05 powerstroke. The duramax is by far the smoothest running but I dont think it has the looks of the other trucks, but looks is a personal thing. The duramax is by far the smoothest and best riding truck. The ford is loud and slow, but looks nice, the dodges are a lil loud and have good torque but I cant stand the way the truck feels inside. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My truck has been super. Only one small problem took it back for service and has been trouble free since. My brother has a 97 Ford Powerstroke and loves it as well but admits mine will run circles around his. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your 97 is running good may as well hang on to it. But if you make the change, chances are you'll love the Duramax.

Good Luck:grd:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts