Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a 4" on order, but just out of curiosity, is there any differet at all between a 4" and 5" exhaust system? Advantages/disadvangtes between the 2? Thanks.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Fact: a 4" flows 98% better than a stock 3 1/2" system.

as for a 4" vs. 5" you wont notice much unless you are running a big tuner and like to hang out in the high mph's...IMO

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The 5" is bigger than the 4". As far as performance it's pretty much a waste to go 5" unless your building a race truck.

·
Vendor
9,677 Posts
I guess I've never done a comparison test between the two. I know I'm not losing anything with it though. The one thing that I find really neat is how people look and point or comment about small animals crawling up inside. :eek:

Seriously though, the tail pipe has the most bends so giving things a bit more room sure doesn't hurt...

·
Registered
53 Posts
5" systems are usually louder. If you had a larger turbo, and building a pulling or race truck, then that would be a good thing to have. Other than that with a stock turbo, stick with the 4" system.

·
Registered
216 Posts
5" Are really deep sounding thats why i have one i didnt want to sound like every other duramax in our town that has a 4"

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would say that if the user was using the basic power programmer device, the 5" exhaust would shift the torque curve farther to the right and be more peaky, and maybe increase peak horsepower just a bit. However, the average hp and tq figures might even be lower unless you've got substantially more power (like with intercooler and turbo upgrade along with all the basic intake / exhuast upgrades). Just my $0.10 worth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.