Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to research which tuning method to go with and I read a lot of conflicting stuff. Edge looks like it has a lot of problems, just by reading in this forum, and some say that Banks has its problems as well. I want a system that I cannot out grow. I am really into power and hate to loose. My truck currently has a 4" exhaust, intake, different exhaust housing, and a 3 year old Edge box. I am an addict and need more and I am sure that the current tuners will now out perform the one in my truck. Then I started reading about the other tuners, tts, westerns...whats the story there? I appreciate the info gentlemen.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Load a sig so we know what truck you have (sounds like an LB7).
Are you ready for a tranny upgrade ($3-4K)?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2003 LB7...that is why I posted in the LB7 forum. I am not particularly excited about spending $3-4K on a tranny, is it necassary at my current level? If that is what must be done, then that is what I will do. I am assuming that the upgraded tranny is just as reliable as the stock one at the stock power level, would that be correct? Do I need to upgrade the tranny to run a "hotter" tune? The Edge and Banks kits always brag about how they save the trans and constantly monitor it.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If you want to safefy run more than 80-100 horse over stock you will need to upgrade the tranny, even if you arent running that kind f power a tranny upgrade will make it feel much faster.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you want to run a hotter tune that what you have you need a trans. upgrade.

After you get the trans. done you have many options. TTS Xtreme is my choice. EFI Live is coming along as well.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I want a system that I cannot out grow.
If you don't want to do a tranny upgrade then you won't outgrow the Edge since you will only be able to run it at Level 3 without risking damage to your trans.

If you do want a tranny upgrade - then look at TTS as they seem to remain the best big HP tune out there.

If you really don't want to out grow it - then get EFILive. You either need to learn to tune your truck or be willing to buy tunes from people but there are some free ones out there too.

The Edge Juice is a good choice. They are having some issues right now but have stood by their product in the past so I am sure they'll clear them up.

You can upgrade the Edje to a Hot unit when you have a built trans and it is a lot of HP for the buck.

Folks are also happy with the Bully Dog, Predator, or Quadzilla as well.

All depends on what you want. Do you want a guages display? In line box? Scanner/ECM flasher?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This all very good info guys, I really appreciate it! Who is recommended for the tranny upgrades? Is there a kit that I can buy to do the labor myself?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
If you are a good wrench you can purchase a kit from www.suncoastconverters.com and install yourself. You can also have someone install it for you. If you just want to run #2 only with no drugs the SCIII kit will hold it. The SCIV is a step above the III as far as holding ability goes. Depends on what you want.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
ATS also has tranny upgrades.

Mines a Suncoast III

·
Banned
19 Posts
http://www.spdiesel.com/

We offer a line of upgradeable modules called the SI/SII 'remote' series, named for its small size. Don't let the size fool you.

You can start small HP and work your way up, say from an SI to an SII and to an SIII and beyond when we release it.

The base module starting under $400 offers display features and gradually adds features as the price goes up. Upgrades are handled easily and as we add display options they will be add ons, but that is down the road.

if you are new, start with an SIeSe with the built in Fuel Pressure gauge and enjoy an extra 75 HP plus about 125 in torque, you wont' be winning drag races against some of the hardcore guys but you will have fun without risking expensive bits you don't want to upgrade until you are good and ready.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts