Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take my current 2005 dually off road quite often for work. I'm often going over things that drag bottom, largely due to the long wheelbase and stock tires I guess. I'm looking at upgrading to a newer truck and that low handing DEF tank looks like it would get knocked off very quickly.
For those that take non-lifted long wheelbase trucks off road what's your experience with hitting the DEF tank? Is this really a concern? Can it be moved easily? Or, maybe I should just get rid of it entirely. Yes, I know that's a whole 'nother subject.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If you’re talking about a 2020 they moved the tank.

For 2011-2019 trucks, no, it’s not a problem. I literally have tried to hit my tank while off roading and I couldn’t do it. The guys that say it’s a problem are the same guys that have to lift their truck so they can clear their driveway approach into their asphalt townhouse driveway. . . . . .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I knew they moved it on the 2020s but I still am also looking at good deals on new 2019 and even 2018 trucks. There's still some dealers with new ones sitting around I hope to get a good deal on.
I take my truck into some fairly off road situations and it's a stock dually. I don't want to lift it because that makes it even harder to access my upper tool bins on the utility body.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I take my current 2005 dually off road quite often for work. I'm often going over things that drag bottom, largely due to the long wheelbase and stock tires I guess. I'm looking at upgrading to a newer truck and that low handing DEF tank looks like it would get knocked off very quickly.
For those that take non-lifted long wheelbase trucks off road what's your experience with hitting the DEF tank? Is this really a concern? Can it be moved easily? Or, maybe I should just get rid of it entirely. Yes, I know that's a whole 'nother subject.
If you typically just drag the center because of length, you’ll be fine as the tank is close to the front wheel.
Everyone’s idea of off-roading seems to be different so look under your truck and see if that area is banged up.

Reactions: BanksLB7Duramax

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts