Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
NO. The 2007's will have to come equipped with a particulate trap to meet the 07 reduced emissions requirements.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i thought the LBZ was 2007 emissions compliant but all 2007 and up will need to be smoged or something like that is i remember right but i might not be right anyone know

·
Registered
339 Posts
No. That's why we ordered a 2006. The 2007's will have even more emission junk on them and the 2007's will only burn the new diesel fuel yet to be produced later this year. 2007 diesel truck's class 6 and below will also be required to pass an annual emissions test as reported in "The Washington Report" in the "PMAA Journal" Spring 2005 publication. 2006 and older model diesel's will burn both diesel fuel's and will not require annual emission testing as of the published date of the report. If that's not a reason to buy a 2006 model diesel I don't know what is. What a debacle that's going to be. Pump labeling and fuel distribution begins in June 2006 reflecting the new diesel fuel required to be produced by the refineries. In Oct 2006, unless retailers plan to carry both grades of diesel fuel, and it's doubtful any will due to cost's, all inventory of today's existing diesel fuel must be turned over to avoid contamination of the new diesel fuel. There are other time lines in between but by December 2014, All diesel fuel must comply with the 15-ppm low sulfer standard. By then, we'll be lucky if our trucks will have a diesel engine in them capable of pulling their "OWN" weight much less anything hitched to them.

Truck on!!!

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
2007 diesel trucks class 6 and below will also be required to pass an annual emissions test as reported in "The Washington Report" in the "PMAA Journal" Spring 2005 publication.
Do those reports refer to specific areas?

Emissions tests are typically required in non-attainment areas (usually major metro areas). Not all areas have any emissions tests at all. In fact, some states don't have any annual inspection of any kind, emissions or safety.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There are other time lines in between but by December 2014, All diesel fuel must comply with the 15-ppm low sulfer standard. By then, we'll be lucky if our trucks will have a diesel engine in them capable of pulling their "OWN" weight much less anything hitched to them.

Truck on!!!
why do you think their will be a reduction in power due to the lower sulfer in the fuel i dont think the sulfer in the fuel right know gives us anymore power right now or does it????

·
Registered
339 Posts
why do you think their will be a reduction in power due to the lower sulfer in the fuel i dont think the sulfer in the fuel right know gives us anymore power right now or does it????

I was being factitious in that statement.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
CRICKEYDOG so what you are saying is that you other post is just what you think and not facts, but what about the 2007 only able to run on the new low sulfer .01% is that a fact or what just wanted to know because i like the red diesel because it is free for me

·
Registered
339 Posts
CRICKEYDOG so what you are saying is that you other post is just what you think and not facts, but what about the 2007 only able to run on the new low sulfer .01% is that a fact or what just wanted to know because i like the red diesel because it is free for me

What I stated in my post above is fact as reported in the Spring 2005 "Washington Report" as reported by Ms. Holly Tuminello in her article written for the PMAA Jouarnal for the same quarter entitled; "Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel: It's Decision Time for Marketers and Engine Builders". My statement is based on her article being accurate. It is a well known fact from several credible periodical's as reported by several engine builder's including International, Cummins and Isuzu specifically in "Truck Trend Magazine" that 2007 diesel engines produced for Class VI trucks and below will be designed, as mandated by the EPA, to only burn the new ultra low sulfer diesel fuel and unable to burn todays available diesel fuels. 2006 and older diesel engines will burn both types of diesel fuel, today's currently marketed diesel fuel as well as the upcoming ultra low sulfer diesel fuel.

Truck on!!!:cool:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
The "cat" that appeared on the LLY's is the "particulate trap"... it's not a true catalytic convertor in the classic sense. Our post-turbo exhaust temps are not high enough to support a true cat.

That's one of the main reasons that factory autos are moving from cats to belt-driven superchargers... the cooling from the turbo delays the "light-off" of the cat which increases emissions output.

We've been dealing with low-sulfer #2 here in CA for a long time.

California still does not have smog testing for Diesels. Gasser testing is as follows:
No tests required during the 1st 5 years.
When the vehicle is 5 years old, the last digit of the VIN (even or odd) determines which year it needs to be tested... even years or odd years... it is possible for a vehicle to be 6 years old before it needs it's first test... this was the case with my '94 Toyota pickup. 5 years old in 1999, but it had an even VIN so I didn't have to test it until 2000.

After that, it requires a smog inspection every other year (pre-1974 are exempt).

For various reasons, a vehicle MAY be tagged as a "gross polluter", which could stem from something such as a call from a citizen reporting excessive smoking, or a "miserable" failure of a normal smog test.
Gross polluters are required to be tested every year at a "test-only" station.

Randomly, the CARB will require that a vehicle be tested at a "test-only" center even without being tagged as a GP. The test-only stations have a different type of license and can not do any actual repairs, but they are staffed with a "referee" and are a very thorough inspection. If youa re running non-CARB approved headers on your OBD-II gasser, this is where you'll get pegged and have to remove them before you will be able to pass.

California currently has no safety inspections. CHP used to run occasional roadblocks where they ran the most basic checks... speedo calibration and headlight aiming, but that's all they have ever done on noncommercial vehicles. That stopped sometime during the 70s.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
California currently has no safety inspections. CHP used to run occasional roadblocks where they ran the most basic checks... speedo calibration and headlight aiming, but that's all they have ever done on noncommercial vehicles. That stopped sometime during the 70s.
I use to live in New Mexico. Every six months your car needed to pass a "safety" inspection. Without fail, your headlights were ALWAYS out of limit by some slightess imaginary fraction of a bubble. Unless you ponied up an extra $10 for the headlight adjustment you would fail the safety inspection. You could say I'll get it fixed and come back, but you had to pay the inspection fee all over again. Lets see, inspection fee $15, headlight adjustment $10. You got your headlights adjusted. It was a major scam run by the gas stations, they all did it, including the dealers. What a rip. I was happy to leave New Mexico. Wonder if they still have the same rip off going today.

Jim

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
glad i live in ohio. cuz i don't think much of how the west coast states are governed. the east coast can be about as bad on some things.

calf basically kills any and all performance enhancing things that you could possible put on your vehicle.

if any of us that run big programing went out there pulling a big 5th wheel, could they get pulled over for laying down the smoke even if they live out of state? i guess what i am asking is, are out of state people required to pass calf. emmisions should we travel there?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
No... and as of now, Diesels are smog exempt anyways, so even if someone reports you, the DMV would see the license as belonging to a Diesel and ignore it.

I seem to recall that the law says something about smoke being heavy enough to obscure the license plate and create a hazard to drivers following, but I'm not positive.
Diesel soot tends to drop pretty quickly. What they're after is the guy with the '75 Impala with a holed piston and a cracked head blowing thick grey/blue/white smoke that hangs over the road for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
No... and as of now, Diesels are smog exempt anyways, so even if someone reports you, the DMV would see the license as belonging to a Diesel and ignore it.

I seem to recall that the law says something about smoke being heavy enough to obscure the license plate and create a hazard to drivers following, but I'm not positive.
Diesel soot tends to drop pretty quickly. What they're after is the guy with the '75 Impala with a holed piston and a cracked head blowing thick grey/blue/white smoke that hangs over the road for 10 minutes.
GROSS POLLUTER is what it's referred to in the California Vehicle Code.

It's a BIG SCAM out here too, My Camaro runs cleaner modified than it did when it had all the SMOG devices on it. A few days ago on the news they were saying air quality has improved out here in the last 10 years but not as much as they liked, so now they are talking more additives in gasoline, which equals... MORE MONEY at the PUMPS!!! CALIFORNIA.. gotta love it out here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No. That's why we ordered a 2006. The 2007's will have even more emission junk on them and the 2007's will only burn the new diesel fuel yet to be produced later this year. 2007 diesel truck's class 6 and below will also be required to pass an annual emissions test as reported in "The Washington Report" in the "PMAA Journal" Spring 2005 publication. 2006 and older model diesel's will burn both diesel fuel's and will not require annual emission testing as of the published date of the report. If that's not a reason to buy a 2006 model diesel I don't know what is. What a debacle that's going to be. Pump labeling and fuel distribution begins in June 2006 reflecting the new diesel fuel required to be produced by the refineries. In Oct 2006, unless retailers plan to carry both grades of diesel fuel, and it's doubtful any will due to cost's, all inventory of today's existing diesel fuel must be turned over to avoid contamination of the new diesel fuel. There are other time lines in between but by December 2014, All diesel fuel must comply with the 15-ppm low sulfer standard. By then, we'll be lucky if our trucks will have a diesel engine in them capable of pulling their "OWN" weight much less anything hitched to them.

Truck on!!!
Given your last statement about weak diesels--if true, this would either increase demand for "old" diesels or work to effectively kill the market altogether (such as in the early days of GM's diesels).

What's it going to be? The smart money may be to sell our diesels while there are still those who will buy them...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love CA! Censored -:t:help: :rant:

CA has their hands in my pockets all the time....
CA has a muzzle over my diesel....

Aaarrrh....make it stop already!

/rant off/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts