Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the max boost press I can run through my stock duramax without poping a head gasket? My boost guage gets just over 25 and doesnt go any higher. I havent changed the alerts in the attitude cuz I wasnt sure.

How high do you "moderate" performance guys let it get, and is it adjustable with the attitude?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bad things can happen above 32 psi
Scott

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's different than a gas engine. With a gas engine, you'll make more power with more boost up to a point. With a diesel, the power you make is directly linked to how much fuel you put in and burn. More boost can bring down exhaust temps....up to a point. Basically, a diesel is limited by exhaust temp rather than boost pressure. The turbo (stock) itself would likely have problems before the head gasket would let go. 25-26 psi is really all that's needed.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
The factory computer only reads to 25 so even if you make more the Attitude won't display it. You can control the amount with an adjustable needle valve spliced into the hose leading to your waste gate actuator or a Banks Big Head Waste Gate Actuator.

There are a few threads that discuss this, try a search and see what pops up.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

You guys know your shizzit.

Ill just turn the egt up a couple hundred, as all I do are occasional full throttle blasts. (for passing of course)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts