Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for a 6.5 to go 200,000 plus with out any problems? I mean like the common ones: injector pump, lift pump, PMD. It seems like alot of people like there 6.5's but it looks like every one has the same problems. Should I say has any one been lucky enough to not have had any of these common problems? Or do all the 6.5's evenually have these problems?

·
Registered
217 Posts
my crapped out at 124,000 miles. Many of them lasted well over 300,000.

·
Registered
740 Posts
AirJordan,
Welcome. Are you looking to buy a 6.5TD? If so here's some reading about buying them, and trouble shooting it if you already bought it.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53309

If do own it please take some time and update your sig about the truck.

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19063

I had about 170,000 on mine before I replaced the IP/PMD. Over 226,000 on the stock injectors and Glow plugs. No hard starts ever or smoking on start up. Maybe I'm lucky... Just remember every thing as some kind of problem from time to time, some little some big but problems none the less.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More info: I own Chevy gas 5.7's with 200,000 plus miles with no major problems just ther common ones-alternator, starter, fuel pump. My friends own powerstrokes and they are trying to get me to buy a Ford. I've been looking into possibly a diesel 6.5 because I like my Chevy's. I searched on here all about the 6.5's and seen all of the problems they have. Now I am looking for people with 6.5's for positive feedback.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I personally am really happy with my 6.5L I had two people with 6.5L tell me they were very happy with theirs. Both with over 200K on them. Before I bought my truck I went and looked at a Suburban with a 6.5L and the guy took really good care of it it had 280K on it and he said he has 3 6.5L for his business and has had really good luck with them. The inj. pump on my truck was replaced at 86K miles. Then 9 miles later it was done again. Then I noticed there was a wire repair in the loom that runs along the back of the motor. So I don't even know if the inj. was ever bad. It may have been that bad wire. I think a lot of times they automatically assume it is the inj. pump and if that doesn't fix it then they look elsewhere. I would just go with your gut feeling. You always hear how Hondas run forever. My brother has had 3 that he purchased new and all have been a pile of crap and left him stranded at some point before 60K(not a battery or tire issue either). I am not bashing Honda I have a Honda quad. Just saying you can have issues in any brand.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
More info: I own Chevy gas 5.7's with 200,000 plus miles with no major problems just ther common ones-alternator, starter, fuel pump. My friends own powerstrokes and they are trying to get me to buy a Ford. I've been looking into possibly a diesel 6.5 because I like my Chevy's. I searched on here all about the 6.5's and seen all of the problems they have. Now I am looking for people with 6.5's for positive feedback.
Just remember any forum is but a sampling of the trucks on the road, in FAQ section is even a my truck is running great thread, once you remote mount the PMD, and learn what the limits of the 6.5 are it's a very reliable truck IMO, I don't regret buying mine and with proper care & feeding it can do plenty of work for a long time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hey Turbine Doc? How long have you had the reflash? I want to get one for mine but ahhhhh, I'm kinda scared. I hear some people saying the 6.5L is close to it's limits stock. I would like a little more power towing but don't want to grenade my motor either.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Almost 2 years now, plenty of HP & torque to be had out of a properly set up 6.5

·
Registered
308 Posts
airjorden, sold my 93 5.7 gasser, bought a 96 6.5l.

BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE, It's a bigger piece of
crap than the 58 FORD my wife brouht to the marriage.

The chevy gasser was MUCH cheaper to run, 232k miles and still did not burn any oil, Maybe thats why GM got rid of the engine, TOO GOOD....

I have 128K miles, Crank pully, harmonic balancer, 3 pmd's , inj pump, extra fuel filter, gallons of fuel treatment
and now head gasket is probably gone, IF I'm lucky and it's
not a cracked block.....

I should note: I did have a 82 Diesel, one of the first delivered, 239K , trouble free miles. So:

82 diesel , the best truck for maintenance,
96, the WORST truck,
93 gasser, best all around , wish I could find another one....

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I've atleast one, maybe two Savana vans with 6.5s and odometers reading 999,999.9 Apparently thats where the digital odometers max out.

Mind you thats KMs, not Miles up here, but still thats 600,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts