Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the legality around removing catalytic converters on diesel trucks? My cummins dodge didn't have one, my 06 LBZ does.

Anyone know? Does it go by the state?

Mike
NJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry, put this in the wrong place, let me move it over to the exhaust section.

·
Registered
272 Posts
get rid of it. even though it is not legal. i removed mine but kept the entire system if needed. be ready for P0401 codes though. not anything to worry about but a pain in the a$$. PPE makes a module to trick the pcm though.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Don't know what state you live but here in Pa there is no emmisions testing, kill the cat:p:

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Well, its straightend out now:)

In the future if you post in the wrong forum its probably best/easiest to either click on the "report a post"(the little exclamation piont) or send a PM to a mod that you see online. We can move the whole thing for ya:)

It is illegal. But what the man dosent know;) Keep your cat in your garage though in case you have to do emmision inspections ect.

I got no light in the dash(duno if there are any soft codeds) and I have 300 miles or so on my truck with no cat and just the front pipe(no muffler or tail, all I have is what most manufacturers incorrectly call the downpipe) Your results may varry though.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Or better yet just delete your old post before you post a new one ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I got no light in the dash(duno if there are any soft codeds) and I have 300 miles or so on my truck with no cat and just the front pipe(no muffler or tail, all I have is what most manufacturers incorrectly call the downpipe) Your results may varry though.[/quote]

mine did not trip a light until 6500 miles. now it happens about every 600 miles or so. just swing into autozone and have them clear it. My buddy is designing a scan tool that is the BOMB!!!! will be getting one of those. he won tool of the year at SEMA 2 years in a row with his scope/diagnostic machine.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Where I am, it's not really a problem until you have to get the vehicle inspected. When theat comes around, you just bolt the cat back on.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Don't know what state you live but here in Pa there is no emmisions testing, kill the cat:p:
Regardless of emmisions testing in your state or not. It is illegal to remove a catalytic converter and not replace it (if originally equipped), Same with tampering/gutting. I believe it is a federal environmental law.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was once told by a Wisconsin State Trooper that anything that is altered from the factory specs is illegal - technically speaking - of course.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Jersey does do emmisions testing. Unknown for diesels. I still havent gotten an answer yet if I have to get smogged here or not. No one seems to know. I guess I'll find out next month.

·
Registered
67 Posts
when did the feds make it a law that all diesels have to have a cat

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
when did the feds make it a law that all diesels have to have a cat
I dont think there is one, unless it comes with the upcoming improved emmisions regulation. However, if your vehicle came equipped with one, I believe it is illegal to remove or tamper with (without replacement).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.