Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Edge w/Att and get 25.6 psi according to the attitude which can only read this high, so I suspect I may be getting a little more.
Banks says the Big Head is good for 26 psi on stock, and between 27-30 psi with edge.
I guess I'm wondering if I get it and am only able to obtain 27 psi with Banks, then maybe I'm better off making my own contraption to bleed a portion of air off to achieve 30 psi.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The big head can be adjusted to achieve any desired psi. I would not advise you to make your own homemade bleeder valve. I've seen some major destruction $ happen by going about that method.

I have the pics to prove it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Big head is the way to go.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The big head can be adjusted to achieve any desired psi. I would not advise you to make your own homemade bleeder valve. I've seen some major destruction $ happen by going about that method.

I have the pics to prove it.
If Juice grips is your method?or the adjustible Diesel Tech method?

whats wrong w/ the homeaids?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Bleed offs Never Work As Good As A Wastgate That Can Hold More Presure , Iv Tried Several, And Made Several , with No Good results , With That Being Said The Bighead Shines On Bigger Hp Tuners Much Better Than With The Average Unit

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
Bleed Ofs Never Work As Good As A Wastgate That Can Hold More Presure , Iv Tried Several And Made Several No Good , With That Being Said The Bighead Shines On Bigger Hp Tuners Much Better Than With The Average Unit
:exactly:

Go "BIG HEAD" or GO HOME............):h

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Much easier to adjust and those who have one KNOW that it works and even betters the response on a Banks wastegate:

·
Registered
77 Posts
is it safe to put the bighead with stock tranny with the j/a

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The Big Head will keep the waste gate completely shut until the desired boost (stock turbo = 32 PSI after the intercooler) is reached. Think of the waste gate as a pressure relief valve, once a certain pressure is made it opens up and vents off the rest. The factory waste gate spring is weaker and will start to open before the factory specification. This results in mid range boost loss. A waste gate enables the use of a turbo that is capable of making more pressure. This is good because you can get to that desired boost level faster and if the turbo does wear, you would not see any boost loss until the thing wore to the point where it could not make your desired level, which would be a lot. Boost (air) mixes with fuel to make power. You will only see more power with more air if you already have too much fuel (black smoke). More boost will help bring EGT’s down though.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The Big Head will keep the waste gate completely shut until the desired boost (stock turbo = 32 PSI after the intercooler) is reached. Think of the waste gate as a pressure relief valve, once a certain pressure is made it opens up and vents off the rest. The factory waste gate spring is weaker and will start to open before the factory specification. This results in mid range boost loss. A waste gate enables the use of a turbo that is capable of making more pressure. This is good because you can get to that desired boost level faster and if the turbo does wear, you would not see any boost loss until the thing wore to the point where it could not make your desired level, which would be a lot. Boost (air) mixes with fuel to make power. You will only see more power with more air if you already have too much fuel (black smoke). More boost will help bring EGT’s down though.
Not true. Add my valve and you will see your boost gauge swing up faster even with the Big Head...

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Not true. Add my valve and you will see your boost gauge swing up faster even with the Big Head...

Kennedy I respect your knowledge and desire to sell a product , but I agree with WI HUCK , the device you sell is a true ball bearing bleeder , (I made one too ) its a copy of a Perrins bleeder , it still does not let the turbo build as fast as a traped wastgate at a prest let off. How does your device help a wastegate that is set for 34 lbs(or better ) ,build faster than being closed untill 34lbs . That would be saying your device is capable of better boost than a closed or clamped off wastegate .I know all gears are not going to hit 34 but it still holds the boost better than a bleed off

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
You guys are missing the fact that there are TWO forces being applied to the wastegate. A combination of these forces opens the gate. As drive psi rises, the combination of boost and drive psi lightens the seating force on the flapper. This allows it to bleed off drive psi that could be used to push the wheels. It is no better than a clamped off wastegate except that it gives control and allows the wastegate to function properly above the set point.

Ask Eric he has seen it work...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Kennedy,
This a LLY or LB7 or both type of product you are talking about?

Thanks

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
LB7 is the only one with a wastegate.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My input on this thread was directed towards spddmn42 who was asking if it was safe to use the bighead with a stock tranny and the juice attitude. I was trying to explain that it is safe to do so. I did not intend to come across negative towards Kennedy and his product. As John stated, you can use his valve and the Big Head together. The boost line that is connected to the Big Head helps control when the waste gate opens and that is what John’s valve is connected to. :thumb:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm looking at throwing together a programmable pressure switch and redundant N.O. paralleled solenoids for fun. If successful, this would allow Max boost changes at the push of a button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.