Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the 3500 ? These trucks sit quite high off the ground and it got me wondering if they are really necessary. My present and prior trucks need some rock protection but they sit lower than the 2500/3500's. I want to protect the hood on the 3500 but don't want to install the shield unless it's really needed. Those of you without the shield please give me your comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't have a bug shield or a 3500, but...I had a 3M clear bra installed on my 2500hd. While a bit pricey, it still retains the look of the stock front and protects just as well against rock chips. Might be another option. I should have had the whole hood clear bra'd as I have some chips around the center of my hood as well as at the rear of the hood...

You just can't seem to keep these things free of rock chips...grrrr

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Well I have an '01 3500 & a bugshield and that bug shield has nicks in it and my hood doesn't.

On the other hand, my wife's 04 2500 Suburban has the bugshield and it whistles between 40 - 55 mph...

JP

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I like the bug/rock shield for preventing chips, but had stopped using them because they made wind noise and made the camper mirrors vibrate to the point where they were unusable. I paid the price in the rock chip department with previous Dooley's.....

This new GM shield was designed to eliminate those two problems and when I got it, the parts guy said that was the idea but wouldn't guarantee that it would work that way.

Well I bought and put it on. It doesn't create wind noise, my camper mirrors are useable, and we'll have to see how well it protects the front end from rock chips. But so far I like it and it's on a Dooley...
Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think it makes my truck look a little nicer and I don't notice any noise or mirror vibration at all

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have a bug guard and if I had it to do over again I would definately go with the 3M Clear guard. Saw the installer at the dealership, checked out his work and IMO it is a more efficient method to protect against dings.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a Lund bug shield on my 2500 and it drives me nuts.. well, almost... It causes the rubber windshield molding to 'flap' at highway speeds, making it sound like the windshield is being peppered by small rocks.

And the mirrors vibrate..

But I'm not taking it off..

I had one on my '02 Avalanche that did the same thing, so I took it off. After 49,000 miles, the leading edge of the hood liked like had been shot at by a 12 gauge shotgun with #8 shot.

So I'll just deal with the little annoyances and protect the hood.

Chris in NC

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have the same vibration problem with a bug screen. I would definately go the 3M route next time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We got the Lund bug sheild on our new truck. I don't see any vibration as described and no noise increase at all. I looked at the clear bra but did not like the look on the truck. I wanted to try and "peel" off the protective coating like you do on an LCD screen
. I have no doubt that it works but for me I like the bug sheild look.

Good luck with your new truck.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I keep acurate records on my truck and the mileage increased by .3ths of a mile without the "mileage" deflector. Leave it off and forget about it. Fuel companies should give them away for free.

·
Banned
13 Posts
DieselDan said:
I keep acurate records on my truck and the mileage increased by .3ths of a mile without the "mileage" deflector. Leave it off and forget about it. Fuel companies should give them away for free.
sole tube, so you can keep mpg records accurate to .3 tenths of a mile, eh? really?
So how many feet is point 3 tenths of a mile, like 190 feet, and you expect us to believe that you can record mpg that accurately, LOL.
What a tube!

·
Registered
80 Posts
SOME oF YOU GUYS TAKE YOUR TRUCKS TOOOOO SERIOUSLY!!!

Come on ,get real, there is more to life then a DURAMAX.

Well that's all I have time to say cause I got ta go give my truck it's weekly wax & detail job.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am running the Lund Stainless Steel guard on my '04 and I like it. I like the looks, it doesn't flap. There is only a slight increase in noise, and best of all, I watch the bugs fly up over the truck @ highway speeds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts