Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Simple question,

IF you ever replaced an Injection Pump before you found this (or other) board and got educated...

Do you feel that you replaced a pump when it really was a PMD problem?

Tim

·
Registered
198 Posts
yes and yes

·
Registered
740 Posts
No, I needed both...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Previous owner had IP replaced under warranty in late '02 at 120k miles. I do not know the circumstances, knowing the PO it was done preventively. Apparently the pump is of a newer design with improvements in internal wear areas. I put C45 pump fuel in when possible and almost always add power service - let me say the engine purrs compared to running with C40 and no additives.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I haven't, but I know the dealership of the previous owner did twice. I had a PMD problem shortly after I bought the truck last July. If I didn't know about this site and learned what a PMD even was, I probably would have brought the truck to a dealership, reporting random stalling problems, and they most likely would have replaced the injection pump, which would have fixed it as it would have replaced the PMD in the process.

Looking up the service history of my truck, I see the IP was replaced under warranty by the dealer twice: Once at about 80k, and again at about 90k. I don't know the circumstances, but chances are there was nothing wrong with the IP in both cases - a PMD replacement would have likely fixed the problem, and a remote PMD mount probably would have prevented the second and third failures.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
If GM decides to replace pump and driver as a unit, but only one component is bad, is that unncecessary by your definition?

PO had the pump replaced somewhere between 95 and 99. I had one done under warranty in early 2000 and its been there ever since. Recently put a heath remote on it. Was the 2000 replacement necessary? I don't know, what do you think?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just replaced mine last month; bad fuel solenoid. Bought a new pump from Gomers and removed the PMD for a spare. Used my old remote mounted PMD. The mechanic asked if the pump had ever been replaced. Apparently the dealer that replaced the pump at 99,000 miles did a real hack job. I was hoping for longer service than 93,000 miles, since I use Power Service and 2 stroke at every fill up, but my failure was purely electrical (I think) and wasn't influenced by my fuel additives.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I haven't replaced one but the warranty history on my truck shows an inj pump at 79,957, then again at 80,427 then at 80,429. The funny thing is when I first bought the truck and was looking around I saw a wire repair at the oil pressure switch. So I'm thinking the wire was causing the problem the whole time and it just took them 3 times to find it. 3 inj. pumps in less than a 1000 miles. Kind of odd.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
I didn't replace it dealer did, at 37K but probably a driver would have fixed it

·
Registered
551 Posts
If GM decides to replace pump and driver as a unit, but only one component is bad, is that unncecessary by your definition?
Well, considering the IP is way more expensive than the driver, and its usually the driver that fails, yes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts