Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare IP that was given to me when I bought the truck. Prior owner said it was rebuilt. Is there any way to verify this or at least have some (any) confidence that it really is/was rebuilt?

It's a green tag, F6 DS4 831 5288J

serial #(?): 8571757
other number: 12558156

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
That's a 5288 built in '96 - the green tag indicates it has the upgrades.

Only way to check if recently rebuilt is to have it checked on the flow-bench, unless the PO has the receipt.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
That 5288 have any paper stick-on labels on any of the components, Pat?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep

There's a paper sticker on the IP body with the following:
5288 Jun 25 96

Then there's a bar code on a paper sticker attached to the round portion of the IP that the injection lines attach to. it has the number 10125345.

Do these mean anything? Is there a secret code?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IP Bench Test

The local injection shop quoted $250 for a bench test. Sounds like a lot. Is it reasonable? The shop comes highly recommended from some diesel mechanics I know, but $250?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If the pump has diesel fuel in it for a long time you have a chance of it not working because parts inside the pump will stick. If it was rebuilt and not installed you should be fine because the calibrating fluid used has a long shelf life.

Huck

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
TxBurb;1579936; said:
The local injection shop quoted $250 for a bench test. Sounds like a lot. Is it reasonable? The shop comes highly recommended from some diesel mechanics I know, but $250?
That is not outrageous. We will not run a pump on our test stand unless we take it apart first because we do not want to dilute our calibrating fluid that is in the stand for reasons I stated in the previous post.

Huck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fluid?

There is fluid in the thing and all lines are properly capped. Is there a way I can tell if its the calibrating fluid vs. diesel? taste? color? etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing, the reason I was skeptical in the first place is the thing is not very clean. I would have thought that if it was being rebuilt it would be cleaned up first.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Your suspicions are very well founded - that date is the give-way.

Mybe the guy meant that it had been tested as not failing, but I wouldn't trust it enough to install it without a re-test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts