Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I got an intermittent parking brake and ABS warning light (both simultaneously) on the dash of my 2006 GMC c4500. We were out for a short trip (about 36 miles) when the dash lights came on at the start of the trip. I pulled over and set and released the parking brakes a few times, thinking I may have accidentally done a partial push on the parking brake pedal when jumping in the cab. I checked the brake fluid level in both reservoirs and it was fine. The lights came back on briefly then stayed off for the whole outbound trip. On our way back, the lights came on briefly again then went out. The brakes feel just fine.

I did replace the brake fluid level sensor in the reservoir a couple of months ago because the sensor housing was broken and didn't look functional. There were no dash warnings at that time, however. I have driven the truck quite a bit since that sensor replacement with no issues.

Ideas about where else to look?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck has the same issue, but I'm pretty convinced it's a worn through wire somewhere. Very common on these trucks and I've already fixed 7 or 8 spots where wires rubbed through.

When I hit a bigger bump, the fluid level light goes out (code said it was for fluid level), and it reads out that the ABS issue is only to the one wheel.

Like I said, I'm working on locating where the wires could be worn through to correct this issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mitch! That sounds plausible. I am going to dig into this now. Let us know what you find and I will do the same.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When ;your ABS light is on, that means that the ABS system has a malfunction and the ABS system is turned off, and that means your trailer braking is also off, should you be pulling a trailer. .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Ron! I MAY have resolved the issue yesterday. My former ambulance has a bank of three deep cycle 12-volt batteries in a slide out tray behind the passenger side cab step. I knew the positive cables were in a tight bunch at the back of the tray, so I took a closer look. One was pinched up against the threads of the end of a chassis bolt and showed signs of the insulation being cut into. I wrapped the cut section, glued a piece of fuel hose to the exposed bolt end and rerouted some of the positive cables to take some tension out of the bundle. I took it for a test drive and did not get the brake lights in the dash, so fingers crossed that solved the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts