Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a squeaking that appears to be coming from the front of the engine. It sounds very similar to the "shutdown squeak" but this is almost constant while idling. It first occured this summer and then disappeared for a time then showed up every once in a while after that.

I just took a trip back to the folks for turkey day and noticed that it was back again after the 6 hr drive. Usually it will be gone after sitting overnight and then restarting but it was still there. On my way back today it was squeaking when I left but wasn't when I stopped at a rest area 120 miles later and also after fueling 200 miles after that. But, when I got home it was back again.

The belt appears to be within spec for tightness and cycling the A/C or turning the steering wheel doesn't appear to change the noise. It is difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the squeak but it seems to be somewhere near the front left area of the engine bay.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Idler, tension pulley ?? Really going to be no way to tell exactly, unfortunately, till it's constant enough to pin point ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know it's a vague description of the problem, but I was just hoping that maybe someone else had run into the same deal.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Minn-Kota said:
I have a squeaking that appears to be coming from the front of the engine. It sounds very similar to the "shutdown squeak" but this is almost constant while idling. It first occured this summer and then disappeared for a time then showed up every once in a while after that.

Minn-Kota

I had an experience with my 03 this past summer with the same squeaking that you described. It happened once after a long 10 hour drive then never came back...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting.

I just read that a TSB may be out for a waterpump that supposedly causes this squeak. Haven't found the TSB yet though.......

·
Registered
747 Posts
My guess would be the belt tensioner. On the wife's 99 blazer, it has been replaced due to bearing being worn out twice. Techs said it is a common problem. I don't know if the tensioners are the same on the duramax, but I would be willing to bet the design is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts