Intermediate Steering Shaft Lube Procedure

cures knocking felt through steering wheel

reference GM bulletin #00-02-30-003C

Tools Needed:
  • needle nose pliers
  • 15 mm wrench
  • GM kit #26098419

</U>

Step 1: Start with the front wheels straight ahead and the column locked, if equipped. Remove nut with 15 mm wrench at steering shaft under dash.​

Step 2: Disconnect shaft by pushing towards firewall.​

Step 3: Remove bolt on steering shaft under the hood.​

Step 4: Disconnect shaft and push towards firewall.​

Step 5: Pull shaft out from inside cab.​

Note: The procedure to lube the shaft is described, in detail, in the instructions that come with the kit.​
Step 6: Remove the spacer with needle nose pliers.​

Step 7: Squirt all the grease from the kit into the end of the shaft, try not to get any on the sides at the top or it will be hard to keep the stopper from slipping out under pressure.​

Step 8: After installing the stopper into the end of the shaft, place the u-joint at 90 deg. and press against a hard surface.​

Step 9: Pull the shaft out to full travel and make sure there is at least 1/2" of grease protruding.​

Step 10: Spread the spacer out a little with snapring pliers or by carefully pulling your needle nose pliers.​

Step 11: Tap the spacer into the end of the shaft untill it is 1/4" from the end.​

Step 12: Reinstall the shaft by pushing it back through the hole from the cab. Tighten the upper nut to 35 lb ft and the lower bolt to 37 lb ft.​

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
dude, do you just read my freakin mind? I was editing pics for that same procedure and I figgered i would just check the forums before posting...Good Job fellow wrench!
Eric

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man! I'm sorry! I took these pics like 2 weeks ago and I finally got them together and edited them today. What a coincidence!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm curious to the source of the problem. Are there trucks out there with dry steering wheel shafts that were never lubed or "under" lubed? Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice Post. I thought about doing mine myself, to make sure it was done right. The dealer has done it three times and I still have the rattle. They passed me up the ladder to the service manager whom I haven't been able to reach. I stoped trying after I read about people getting there steering box replaced and not being able to adjust the play out of them (after market boxes). Also, someone posted that there would be a replacement shaft end comming out in feb. of 04 (I believe thats what I read). Has anyone heard any more on this? Is the rattle caused by end play or poor spline fit? Any info is apreciated as this problem is annoying. Thanks

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I have talked to GM design team members and they say they have the problem fixed and the updated parts are to be put in fromthe get go soon.. I dont know if there gonna fit the old shaft

SID, you rock, your article looks much better then mine woulda. Nice Work

·
Registered
663 Posts
GMCSID,

Dittos.. Thanks for posting!

This problem recently showed up on my 03 at 20kmi. I can't hear a rattle but I can feel it in the wheel on turns. In your (or Eric's) experience does this method fix the problem if done correctly or will it eventually come back (as GPtimes2's has)?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow! This is a lot of work. Does anyone know if this is covered under warrantee for sure?

I think I too have the problem on my '03 with 13 K miles on it. I started around 10 K and getting worse. I've been going nuts
trying to find a loose component. It nearly sounds like a shock mount or front-end component is loose. It's a very slite clunking, it seems to happen most noticable in a turn over a slightly bumpy road. Is this it?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Very nice. It's great having the both of you forward thinking for the membership!

GMCSID, if you don't mind, this is a perfect article for the FYI/ Do It Yourself forum.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Had mine done last month under warranty. Helped but others have said it doesn't stay and the problem returns. We'll see.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My 03 started developing this problem at around 13k. At 20K it was unbearable. It is extremly noticable when turning sharply at slow speeds on rough surfaces. The dealer did perform the T.S.B. under warranty. The problem is much better however it still can be felt a tiny bit. I have read a few post stating that this problem has and will happen again. This really concerns me because my truck will probally be out of warranty when it does. Since this problem is steering/saftey related should it not be a true recall vs. a T.S.B. Shouldn't the problem be fixed right the first time? This steering problem along with my rear leaf spring clunking, vibrating trailer mirrows, excessive tire wear and noisy winsheild( when equiped with bug sheid) makes me wonder if I should of bought a Dodge? I cant believe I just said that!

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Strange.

62,000 miles and I have never heard or felt anything there. Wonder why some do it and some don't.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
hoot said:
Strange.

62,000 miles and I have never heard or felt anything there. Wonder why some do it and some don't.

I asked the same thing in a different way near the top of this thread and no one has answered that question. Sounds to me like GM is putting some steering shafts on trucks that have never been lubricated.

The greasing TSB seems like a temporary band aid.Edited by: tophog

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tophog said:
I'm curious to the source of the problem. Are there trucks out there with dry steering wheel shafts that were never lubed or "under" lubed?

I think it's a combination of poor spline fit and insufficient lube.

jbplock said:
In your (or Eric's) experience does this method fix the problem if done correctly or will it eventually come back (as GPtimes2's has)?

I haven't had one come back that I did. I think the key is to make sure there is grease protruding. It takes a lot of pressure.

JohnnyO said:
Wow! This is a lot of work. Does anyone know if this is covered under warrantee for sure?.......It's a very slite clunking, it seems to happen most noticable in a turn over a slightly bumpy road. Is this it?

It's really not a lot of work. Just 2 fasteners and the shaft is out. If your truck is under warranty then it's covered. That is the intermediate shaft your feeling.

·
Registered
663 Posts
GMCSID,

Thanks again!

I think I'll take my truck in for the TSB repair. If the rattle comes back out of warranty I can do the repair since we now have your excellent instructions.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
The original post is of great quality. The pictures are great and any person could due this repair if they follow these instructions. I know we are in the DIY section and not the
section. However, I am not sold. I bought a new truck vs. a used truck to avoid this exact situation. 8-12k oil changes ,100k belt change and no spark plugs. Why in the world would we want to ad greasing the intermidate shaft to the scheduled maintenance list? What every 20k? The Chevy dealer gave me a free no hassle repair on this procedure at 20566k. If my problem comes back like some of the others on this site have mentioned, I am going all the way to the top.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't understand why GM didn't fix this problem long ago. I had a '01 half ton before my current truck and it had the same problem with the same TSB fix. I traded it in on my current truck before I got around to taking it in for this fix so I don't know how long it would last.

Now my '03 is developing the same problem. I realize it is probably more of an annoyance than a real problem but I don't think a permanent fix would be hard to develop. It's not like they just started making steering systems

I still love the truck, it's just these little things that keep it from being perfect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a stupid question..go figure.

Would messing with the steering shaft effect the airbag system? Just checking to make sure we don't need to disable it or not.

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lonewolf867 said:
I have a stupid question..go figure.

Would messing with the steering shaft effect the airbag system? Just checking to make sure we don't need to disable it or not.

Mike

No, it will not. Just stay away from all yellow electrical connectors and you should be ok.

1 - 20 of 408 Posts