Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new PowerStroke's flawed launch is the major reason for bad blood between Ford and International Truck.

Last year, Ford abruptly canceled plans to buy International Truck's 4.5-liter diesel V-6 for the new F-150. International Truck swallowed a $170 million charge to cover the cost of engine development and factory tooling.

The company later received compensation from Ford. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Martens has ruled out new contracts with International Truck. "We stopped work with International on the V-6," Martens says. "Right now, there are no plans to restart that work."

Autoweek Story

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
If Its cummins and allison Im selling my truck in 2 years after the bugs are worked out.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'll be next in line. Once I get close to 100K miles this truck is gone. This is the second time I've bought a GM product that has the potential for major repair costs. I won't make this mistake again. Don't get me wrong, I like the truck, but having the stong probability of major repair costs looming over the horizion is not what I purchased the truck for.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Why a V6? seems that an inline would be a better choice. Better balance, less vibrations and no problems putting it in a rear wheel drive vehicle.

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
Even you guys have to admit, an F150 diesel would be sweet!
GM is yet again shooting themselves in the as..uh..foot by not offering the Canyon/Colorado with a diesel which has already been on the market in Australia (Holden Rodeo) and Thailand (Isuzu Dmax) for over a year now.
Gm has also been cutting a couple of cylinders off gas engines for lighter applications for years now. They could "band-saw" the Dmax, mate it up to a smaller tranny and drop it in the 1500s and SUV's. Then instead of shooting their own, they'd be kicking other's...well you know

Just some thoughts,
Ox

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a64pilot said:
Why a V6? seems that an inline would be a better choice. Better balance, less vibrations and no problems putting it in a rear wheel drive vehicle.
I hear the Cummins 4 banger is just that. Shakes like mad.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Folks, the reason they don't do it here is very simple. EMISSIONS
Ah, yes, the dreaded "E" word.

Doliver, I like that idea. I have seen some big rigs with JD emblems on them. I think at one time JD made a motorhome chassis.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If someone puts a V-8 CAT in a truck I'd seriosly think about buying it......in fact, I think that anyone with a set of balls would have to. That's a diesel.
Edited by: Minn-Kota

·
Registered
187 Posts
The General should have went with John Deere or CAT

·
Registered
218 Posts
We have a great pack of diesels to choose from once Detroit gets them ironed out. Ford, GM and now Cummins with common rail F.I. will rock once they get the injectors to hold. I had a Cummins marine dist. stop by today and through the keys to me and said "this is to showcase the engines you'll be putting in your boats in 04". I think it's a tag quieter at idle, had good throttle response and rode o.k. GM's still got it beat, but that was the 230 hp version. Ford isn't leaving I.H., they'll mend their cat fight and move on. I did note that Cummins isn't as stupid as Gm, they have a 10micron and 2micron filter system standard on their trucks. I guess GM will have to piss off all their new diesel customers and deal with a ton of warrantys before they figure it out....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think you guys are being too hard on the Duramax. In all honesty only a small percentage of us hear from guys with major issues. Sure the injectors are a bit spendy, but that's being rectified somewhat with the LLY.

I think this motor is fantastic all around. Sure there are weak spots, but when was the last time you couldn't name a weak spot with a everyday, mass produced vehicle?

I'm not sold on the fact that because I've read some horror stories that I'm going to have injector failure after 100k. Yes I do run a secondary, but I'd probably also do that with any diesel that didn't offer one factory.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My nephews Duramax with 25,000 miles on it has major problems with the injectors right now. I'm not hard on Duramax, I'm hard on GM's management. The least they could do is let us break into the fuel system after the stock filter without telling us we'll lose our warranty. They could even require us to have the dealers install them if they're worried about hammer heads messing with the fuel systems. If everyone keeps their mouths shut nothing will change............these guys watch these sites.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pick said:
Folks, the reason they don't do it here is very simple. EMISSIONS
Ah, yes, the dreaded "E" word.

Doliver, I like that idea. I have seen some big rigs with JD emblems on them. I think at one time JD made a motorhome chassis.

Pick, you're right JD DID make motorhome chassis for a while. One problem though. Engines of choice were Ford 460 gasser and Cummin(g)s 6BT 160HP diesel. There was never a JD engine in them. I worked for a bus manufacturer that used these chassis day in and out. JD eventually sold the division or rights to OshKosh Chassis...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
909 Posts
Fact is, GM botched the Dmax fuel system design and there isn't anything to suggest it will change with the new LLY. GM's recent news release reports 100k mile injector "service" cycle, a new standard for world class nondurability.
Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, I feel real good knowing that I paid approximately $5K extra for the old standard (prior to LLY) of world class nondurability. It burns me up that I have to pay the bill in order to correct GM's poorly designed fuel system.

There are quite a few things that in hindsight I should have been more aware and educated on; for instance: The Dmax TICK TICK TICK TICK, 26 gal fuel tank, weak pu bed structure, limp mode, small tire size for Allison, weak headlights and crappy shocks. Oh yeah, and I forgot one big item: no under-hood or foot well lights and the fact that I'm going to have to pay close to $500.00 for a decent set of TTT mirrors.

I have a feeling that the re-sale on our trucks is going to be terrible in a few years, if not already. I'll probably have to go back to a gasser so I can actually get over 100k without major maintenance problems. I haven't had any problems yet , but with 25K on the truck I'm starting to get concerned for the future.

I'm not trying to rain on anyones parade. I'm just venting a little. Several times I've put my faith in GM and I've been dissapointed. Maybe it's time to spend my money elsewhere.

General Motors, I hope your listening.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There is only one thing GM or Detroit for that matter can understand and thats competition in the marketplace. We diesel consumers will continue to receive the slo-roll treatment until they feel threatened by competition ~ notably foreign competition and I can't see that on the horizon anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well I'll give you the small fuel tank, hood light, and better mirror options, but I still think the D-max Alli combo is one of the best out there.

For a weak bed structure? Explain that one please.

Crappy shocks, well all OEM shocks I've had haven't been the greatest(except my last early 00 Z-71 had Bilsteins)

the ticking, well that's cause it's just a quiet motor, only at idle and when parked near a building and intermittent at best.

Tire size is a personal taste issue in my book load range is my key issue.

Limp mode is good, would you rather have you pan blow out like Fords used to?????

Additional filtration, well, the book is still out as to whether or not it'll extend life, but hey for less than $150 I added my setup. Which on top of cleaner fuel added 1.5mpg better on average, so it'l quickly pay for itself and then some over the life of this truck.

No it's not a perfect truck, I don't think that exists from any manufacturer, my only regret with this purchase is I settled for a short box crew, rather than holding out for a long bed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts