Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bumped into my former boss tonight...she works for Bosch...and she is very familiar with the common-rail system in our trucks...we both worked at the Grand Rapids, MI plant that lost out (and is now closed) when the high-pressure common rail business was assigned to Bosch's Charleston, SC plant.

I mentioned being a Dmax owner and she immediately asked me "are you over 75,000 miles yet.....and if so are you still running the original injectors?". Seems Bosch is seeing a rash of failures in the 75-80K range. I got the impression from her that Bosch was very embarrassed about all the injector issues. She said they did most of their durability testing with clean fuel, and didn't realize the variability of fuel in the US. Also said the revised design was helping, thought this has been in production for a year or more, so even my 03 truck might have benefitted....although she didn't know the specifics of what was changed.

Bosch builds injectors for OTR trucks that rarely have an injector failure so for them 75-80K miles is viewed as early failure. Too bad GM doesn't seem to take it nearly as seriously!

·
Registered
114 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

i have just over 41k on my baby, and i just had ALL of my injectors replaced...

i bought it in mid-feb, and it's REALLY a nice truck, as u can see from my sig...

the top tech where i had it serviced (twice) pulled a warranty history on it...it's SIX pages long and includes the replacement of 2 injectors previously...both he and the mech that actually did the work told me that they've not had any replacement injectors come back, so maybe ur friend is right about the replacement injectors being a cure...

the top tech and 2 mechs told me individually when i asked them about the injector problem that it was the change in the diesel fuel formula (lower sulphur), and diesel fuel variation that has caused the injector failure problem...all of them advised me to use "howes" fuel additive...when i asked about stanadyne, or other additives, i was told stanadyne, ect., is better for '03-'04s...they said howes is better for '01-'02s..they sell a LOT of diff additives, so what u buy is nothing to them, and howes is cheaper than stanadyne...

ANYWAY, i CERTAINLY hope that the LLY is all it's advertised to be...if toyota is ever allowed to sell a diesel hd here, the big 3 can stop making diesels

</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pony Driver- I wouldn't buy a Toyota if they were the only diesel manufacturer. I would just go back to gas. I would even go as far as saying I would drive a D**ge before a Toyota. At least they have American roots.

·
Registered
398 Posts
maynard9089 said:
Pony Driver- I wouldn't buy a Toyota if they were the only diesel manufacturer. I would just go back to gas. I would even go as far as saying I would drive a D**ge before a Toyota. At least they have American roots.

I agree, I think I'd even buy a ford before a toyota.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would Never buy jap Bike or truck American made Here

Leatherman

·
Registered
430 Posts
Fred G's comments are interesting in light of Dmaxallitech's comments over on the diesel page concerning a conversation he had with some engineers at GM on injector issues. Eric's keeping kinda quiet about it, but says there is more to come.

Quote from Eric.."I think GM has got ahold of the problem from the info I have recieved in the last couple days. I know from talking to differnt engineers with Dmax and GM that they have about had it with Bosch."

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007554

·
Registered
747 Posts
Leatherman said:
I would Never buy jap Bike or truck American made Here

Leatherman

I assume we have another Harley rider!
Edited by: flhrciblueice

·
Registered
394 Posts
We are not alone with premature injector failure issues. Large class 8 and off-highway equipment are plagued with exactly the same issues. One of our owner operators recently took his Peterbilt in as it was a little rough running; from his previous engine, a Big Cam IV, he assumed a $250 to $350 "run the rack" tune up cost. The engine had 106,000 miles on it was out of warranty. Tune up bill was $3500. 4 new injectors.. Then to top it off he was back 3 weeks later for the last two injectors..
One very upset owner operator.
Ten years ago, in order of alerts, dirt injestion was #1, with 95% of oil analysis alerts, followed by glycol/anti-freeze, bearings and a distant last, fuel dilution.
Now, with electronic high pressure injector systems used on all current diesel engines, oil analysis results show dirt alerts still #1 but now fuel dilution is #2 and glycol a distant third..
Thus, GM is NOT alone with the injector life problems. As has been discussed in detail the inherent problem is extremely dirty fuel and inadequate fuel filtration.. CAT is the only engine manurfacturer who has indeed done the research and stepped up to the plate with a truly efficient fuel filter and as a result, their injectors/fuel systems are among the longest lasting.
This is not rocket science or defective injector design; if one runs a 19/17/15 ISO through a 1,000 psi garbage truck hydraulic system, pump, hose and valve life is going to be serverely compromised...
Do the same with a 20,000+ PSI hydraulic system as in our fuel injection system and frankly it is a wonder the injectors, servo valves, pumps live as long as they do!
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
The low sulphur thing is a play on the 1994 shift in sulphur content. I'd run the Stanadyne before Howes any day.

FPPPF Total Power or Primrose Are my recommendations...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pony Driver said:
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on"><T>
<T>
<TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

...if toyota is ever allowed to sell a diesel hd here, the big 3 can stop making diesels
</TD></TR>
<TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Amen to that Pony!! Based on some of the other replies you've gotten, all I can say is there must be some very happy folks here. Remember, ignorance is bliss!!

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
I don't get it. What is stopping Toyota from doing just that? If the market was there, I am sure they would build one.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Still it's up to GM to define the test that determines Bosch's design is reliable. Sounds like GM didn't do their homework and will pay with warranty costs. Of course us customers fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to make it through the 100k warranty will also pay.

Aside from the GM/Bosch finger pointing, how can GM let this fester through 4 production cycles? The general had to be asleep at the wheel.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Unfortunately history shows that the japanese will build and it will be more reliable than anything we've seen to date.

·
Registered
909 Posts
2K2AD said:
I don't get it. What is stopping Toyota from doing just that? If the market was there, I am sure they would build one.

It never hurts being late the the auto production party. You can always gain market share while learning from the competition's mistakes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
But Toy isn't late. They have been making diesels available to the rest of the world for many many years. However, they make pretty much bare bones work trucks (the exception is the Land Cruiser) that can't compete on the plush, high performance American market.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like you good `ol boys are are running scared here...
Afraid of a little competition are we ?? Even to the extent of buying a FORD or DODGE, Good God You guys, did you all forget who makes the Duramax ?? What If Toyota had built it instead of Izuzu.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Surprise,,,, %$*&%*& I'm having all eight injectors replaced in my 2003 GMC duramax, 14300 miles. Hope the new ones last longer. Nick fixed me up with a new nicktane fuel filter kit that I'll be installing next weekend.

has anyone heard about GM guaranteeing the replacements for life????? That would be hard to believe. I'll be asking the GM service manager.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My next question is... has anyone installed a secondary oilguard oil filter. I recently purchased on but for the heck of me, I can't figure out a good mounting location on my 2003 GMC duramax.

Would like to know where a good mounting location is.

·
Registered
663 Posts
tmcmichael said:
My next question is... has anyone installed a secondary oilguard oil filter...
tmcmichael,
There are quite a few Dmax owners using OilGuards. I installed an OilGuard on my 03 last februrary and have been very pleased with it. There is also an OilGuard Install Topic in the "Do it yourself and usefull articles" forum that shows GMCSLEHD's excellent install.

·
Registered
197 Posts
2K2AD said:
I'm sure Toyota is doing the necessary research, development, and testing BEFORE they put the product on the market - unlike some other manufacturers!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts