Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading everything I can on them and have a few questions . For those of you who have installed them without buying one of the kits , which brand intercooler did you buy , whats the biggest one you can fit under the bumper , last , what kind of tubeing did you use ( steel stainless , alum ? ) and where are some good places to get the tubeing ?
I've been looking at all kinds of intercoolers and am thinking of calling a few bone yards and see what types I can find . One last thing , for those of you that run an IC have you rechipped and what difference did it make?

Any and all info on the install and what too look fo is welcome .

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Install how to for mine is in FAQ, the Kennedy/spearco is about as big as a under bumper will go without too much modification, plumbing for mine is combination of steel tube & silicone elbows & couplings

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read your intercooler post and was very informative , thank you for documenting it . Was it worth it ? I noticed some guys ran the tubing through the fenders outside the frame rails . Looks like the easiest way too go as far as space is concerned . Was yours a " kit " ( I forget) or did you purchase the components separetly . If so can you use tubeing that isnt beaded on the end ? I was wondering if there are any issues with the coupling holding ?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would go with JK's kit. Its easy to install and IMHO was the best performance upgrade I dod on my 95.

Greg

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Beaded tubing is must without beaded or crimped rim fittings will blow off, mine was a kit but had to be modified to allow me to fit it on a K1500 frame, BTW the flex pipe on IC instal web link eventually was replaced with solid steel tube flex was only rated for 3 psi and weeped oil.

IC is only SAFE way to run 10+ boost, worth it most definately, it is the key to making max power in the 6.5

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id buy the kit but #1 I think I can do it cheaper on my own and 2cnd it looks like it would be a fun project . I kinda figured without the beading it would blow off . Im thinkingabout checking out some bone yards , you'd think there would be something available and adaptable

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Several ebay folks have inexpensive ICs sans plumbing, just make sure it's robust

1 - 7 of 7 Posts