Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do yall have your intercoolers mounted? I am want to get one but want it to be protected, b/c I am known to go off road and tear sh*& up. The intercooler is one thing I DON'T want to tear up. I would like to mount it in front of the radiator but fear there isn't enough room with the tranny & oil cooler.

Has anyone fit a d-max intercooler kit into their truck, a Ferd intercooler, or a Dodge intercooler?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been looking into this same thing. From what I've seen, everyone is putting theirs down where they aren't protected. It is the only place people seem to put them. I don't like the location either, for the same reasons as you. I have looked at mine and am not sure where else one could go. There definately isn't enough room between the radiator and grill. Guess you could place one there but I am kind of partial to my AC. Am not much help but I'll try to give you a heads up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I built an air to water ic using a small alum radiator behind the grill to cool the water. No major fitment probs and it can outperform any air to air.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I built an air to water ic using a small alum radiator behind the grill to cool the water. No major fitment probs and it can outperform any air to air.

....really? Do tell:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
:nopics:
:nopics:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Waiting in suspense!:confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
The only people who don't like the location are the ones who don't have intercoolers...plus a few who have hacked up their grills to put one in front. There is one C/K truck with a Duramax/Allison using a Dodge intercooler in front of the radiator with a custom A/C condensor and modified core support. It's known as Lil' Red.

It is my opinion (fairly informed) that putting an intercooler in front of the radiator on the 6.5 is a mistake. The cooling system, when properly modified, is barely adequate as it is without putting more heat load in the air stream.

If you tow heavy, as I do, you will soon find the wisdom in these words.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ill try to get some pics in the next couple of days
basically there is an air to water ic (spearco #2-231) mounted on the driver side inner fender along with a 2 gallon resevoir
next there is a small ( 9"x14" i think) aluminum radiator (orig. designed to cool a shifter cart) behind the grill on the passenger side
and last there is a fairly small water pump ( stock ford lightning supercharger ic ) that pumps water through the radiator then on to the ic then into the resevoir tank and finally back to the pump.
I tow heavy enough to need one and no amount of talk is going to make me put one under my truck.
I drive on ALOT of unimproved roads etc... and even the best air to air is useless when covered in mud and dirt with a big sagebrush stuck to it.
i got the ic used along with the rad and i spent less than $500 total
there is always ic's on ebay for under $200 i paid $90 for a brand new pump and the rad sells for like $170 new so it can be done anytime for a bargain ( just dont forget about all the little stuff like hoses etc... got a handfull of mine from intakehoses.com)
I got the idea from heath as he will be releasing an air-water sometime in may only his will use a new upper intake casting with e-thing built in.
I would have just waited but im impatient, he said he has 20 or so allready ordered and the price will be a bunch cheaper than the air-air currently available so anyone interested may be better off to wait and see what he has but its just not really to tough to do yourself

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
One reason the cooling system is overworked is the lack of an intercooler. The cylinders are pumped full of hot air under load increasing heat load on the coolant.
I would bet that a intercooler mounted in the grill where they belong or under the truck as there is no room in the grill will perform the same engine temp wise.

·
Registered
382 Posts
one thing i did was to install hood louvers from raceace.com
i dont know if it helped coolant temps but the under hood temp went way down and that cant hurt, you can really see the heat boiling out of there when towing through the desert.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I were to mount one under the truck like in the image, it will be destroyed in a matter of a month. Even if I welded a piece of expanded metal in front of it, it would get caked with dirt, or brush. I have to clean my grill area twice a month, and my air filter every week, and thats just dirt, with some brush.

(Image is from kennedydiesel.com)

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here we go. lol
We will now get 20 replys as to we dont know what were talking about.

There will be a handfull of guys that will say " i use my truck harder and longer than you ever will"

Then there will be at least one that says were idiots for not building our trucks just like his cause his is perfect.

Hey if you want to spend over a grand on something you can do yourself go right ahead. If you dont have the ability or tools or the shop space and its cold where you live then it makes sence but its usually the guy that knows everything just because he bolted something on his truck and wants to feel better about all the coin he spent

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This might be the dumest idea or the best idea I have had today. What if I took a heater core (or something of the sorts), a water to air IC, a pump, hoses, and antifreeze; install the heater core behind the grill, run hoses from it to the IC install the pump to circulate the antifreeze, install the IC in the free space I have where my air box use to be and connect the turbo, IC and intake.

·
Registered
382 Posts
thats basically what i did. except you will need a small resevoir with a radiator cap so you can fill and bleed the air from the system.i used a larger res to get a larger volume of water.
also before i got the alum radiator i fount that a radiator from a 89 hyundai excel is just the right size to fit behind the grill on the passenger side.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like it would be a lot easier to install and will hold up better to rough terrain conditions.

What type of hoses did you buy for the air to pass through? Would radiator hoses work?

·
Registered
382 Posts
i just used metal exhaust pipe bought locally with rubber boots from intakehoses.com
i cut the pipe to size then had a local muffler guy swedge or expand the ends a little to keep the boots from blowing off

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Pics we gotta have pics. I want to see how those louvers look as well as the rest of the install.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I just want to see what the IAT's are and what the air flow is.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It is my opinion (fairly informed) that putting an intercooler in front of the radiator on the 6.5 is a mistake. The cooling system, when properly modified, is barely adequate as it is without putting more heat load in the air stream.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. I put my I/C infront of the radiator and always had a problem with overheating, even after all of the cooling mods. Pulling a flatbed GN trailer with one small tractor on it was enough to get the ECT over the 210 mark... That 250+ degree intake heat is soaking right into the radiator and condensor when the I/C is infront, not something I'd do again if I had the chance.

If you don't want an I/C down under I'd suggest water injection. It might not be the best way to do things, but it sure does work. The worst part is keeping enough H2O on hand...

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Pics we gotta have pics. I want to see how those louvers look as well as the rest of the install.
YAAAA come on, we're dying here.:grd:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts