Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towing 10k up a 3 mile 6% grade. Right at the top of the hill blew the intercooler pipe off the turbo outlet. It was the permanent clamp side, not the t-bolt. Couldnt do a side of the road fix. Anyways dealer says there is a TSB on it. I just tossed the machine installed clamp ring and put on a t-bold clamp. Anybody else have this happen?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hasn't happened to me.

I'm curious, do you happen to know the boost level at or near blow off? What RPMs were you turning and which gear were you in?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had it happen to me on my LMM. The problem for me was oil that softens the rubber connection and causes it to pop under a high boost situation. Mine had about 30K miles when it happened so GM replaced the whole pipe under warrenty. I just traded the truck in tonight on a new 2012 Denali 2500. I hope it does not happen on this one. I'm sure the tuner I was running didn't help either. It poped while towing my 5th wheel.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My friends 08 has blown twice while towing replaced the hose and put the spring type clamps on. My 08 had the spring clamps on the whole setup and I never had a problem. On my 2011 there is one spring clamp and one band which I complained about when I bought the truck but they wanted over 300.00 to replace the band clamps. Do you know what the tsb covers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hasn't happened to me.

I'm curious, do you happen to know the boost level at or near blow off? What RPMs were you turning and which gear were you in?

Not quite sure. I was going about 70 up that hill pedal to the floor. I just wanted to know how well this thing pulls uphill. It did amazing until i heard the pop and the ear piercing rush of air. And as far as whats covered under the tsb not sure.. I was told they have heard of it happening, although rare, and that they just replace the affected intercooler pipe and coupler.

·
Registered
119 Posts
tsb?
the service bulletin?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have had a couple come off. A LLY and LMM. I also melted holes in the same boot on a LMM twice. I carry an extra in the tool box so I am not stranded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boost/Inter-cooler pipe/hose

This may or may not be related but, ...
There is a hose/pipe that connects on my LML on top of motor on passenger side that my son tells me is the inter-cooler pipe that goes into the intake. It has a weird connector on it that has no clamp. It appears that there is a mechanism that locks it in place. Anyway, it is loose. I can move the hose/pipe maybe an eighth of an inch on the connection but I cannot get to tighten. What is this. I would post a pic but I can't figure out how to do that.

:confuzeld

·
Registered
317 Posts
That is the cold side of your intercooler, into the intake manifold. They are a form of quick-connect fitting. Normal to have some play in them, if you are not setting an engine lamp or have any issues with perceived reduced power (by that I mean low power but no reduced power message) that could be the result of a boost leak, I would consider it totally normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I thought so. We are having issues with power down ie limp mode with a booster code P2263. As well as P2002 on occasion. Has a "New" DPF with about 30,000 mile on it. I am going to do boost leak test this weekend. I thought that might be the cu;prit but guess not. Thanks rob1 for the info.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The intercooler pipe that blows is usually the hot side on the drivers side. I had a customer with a tuned deleted '14 that had that happen. Replaced with a new assembly from GM. Hasn't had any issues since.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
One problem that usually causes the pipe to blow off is oil saturation, cause from the factory PCV's oil vapors going thru the entire intake system.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 09-06-93-001A
Date: February 12, 2010
Subject: Engine Oil Leaks from Charge Air Cooler and Turbocharger Air Inlet Adapter (Replace Clamp and/or Turbo Inlet Duct/Pipe)
Models:
2007-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak
2007-2010 Chevrolet and GMC Light and Medium Duty Trucks Equipped with Diesel Engines
2007-2010 Chevrolet Silverado Equipped with Engine RPO LLY, LBZ or LMM Diesel
2007-2009 GMC TopKick Equipped with Engine RPO LLY, LBZ or LMM Diesel
2007-2010 GMC Sierra
Please Refer to GMVIS Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-06-93-001 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). Condition
Some customers may comment on an engine oil leak from the rear of the engine near the flywheel housing. Upon further investigation, a technician may find oil in the charge air cooler or turbocharger air inlet adapter.
Cause
Note
Oil found in this system is very rarely an indication of a turbocharger failure. This condition may be caused by a loose clamp at the inlet duct/pipe located on the turbocharger. Oil may carry over from the PCV system and leak out the turbo inlet duct/pipe.
Correction
Note
Do not replace the turbocharger if oil is found in the charge air cooler pipes. Important
When replacing the clamp, tighten the clamp to 5 Nm (41 lb in), then loosen and re-tighten to 5 Nm (41 lb in). OIL LEAK FOUND AT CHARGE AIR COOLER OUTLET (HOT SIDE)
Clean the rubber duct hose with soapy water and allow to dry. Apply a thin bead of high temperature RTV silicone sealant to the turbocharger compressor outlet port and CAC duct connections.
Tighten
Tighten the clamps to 8 Nm (70 lb in). OIL LEAK FOUND (Full-Size Pickup Trucks - Silverado and Sierra)
Replace the turbo inlet duct/pipe and clamp with P/N 98011738.
OIL LEAK FOUND (Vans and Medium Duty Trucks)
Replace the air intake clamp with P/N 97376379. Refer to Air Intake Pipe Replacement in SI.
Parts Information
Note
Do not replace the inlet adapter/duct on vans and medium duty trucks - only replace the clamp.

These part #'s pertain to my 2008 model

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The pretty blue turbo to intercooler hose if it blows off and is oil soaked, you can clean it, but it'll probably be a waist of time.
I never had any luck cleaning the hose it just kept blowing off, used hair spray, lock-tight nothing worked all the redneck suggestions, I finally busted the clamp trying to tighten it enough to stay put.
120 miles from home with no parts houses anywhere with-in 300 miles that carried this type clamp, had to have it towed home with my 5th wheel still hooked up.
Tank God for RV Roadhelp:thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is the cold side of your intercooler, into the intake manifold. They are a form of quick-connect fitting. Normal to have some play in them, if you are not setting an engine lamp or have any issues with perceived reduced power (by that I mean low power but no reduced power message) that could be the result of a boost leak, I would consider it totally normal.
What is this pipe called. I have a leak in it from rubbing on the bracket below and I nee to replace it I think.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Or junkyard. Probably cheapest fix available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts