Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice day today, finally got the scoop on, and did some initial testing. The real test will be Saturday and Sunday when I drive from here, Baltimore, to Indianapolis with the 4 ton work trailer.

Ambient air temp 54F, ECT - 180F, TFT - 150F
Temps stayed between 120-160 the entire time on the highway. Max boost was a 5-6 second blast at 14 PSI. Hit 161F.

So if 140F is the magic efficiency number, I guess I'm in a good range. Like I said, we'll see how things are going through the mountains this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Scrufdog;1608341; said:
... TFT - 150F...
Okay, I give! What is TFT? ...Tri-Fluoro-Toluene? ):h

And when you have some data on semi-sustained pulls in the mountains, I can run some calcs and give you an idea of the effiency of the setup...

I would need: Boost pressure, ambient temp, IAT, and ground speed. Do you have pressure drop across the IC?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TFT - transmission fluid temp, just to show that the truck was fully warmed up.

There is maybe 0.5 PSI lost across the intercooler. Boosts levels are about that much under what they were pre-intercooler.

I can get all those specs for you easy.

I'm not 100% finished the install. I'm going to install some seal type deals on the intercooler since its not a perfect fit to the hole in the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just awesome man! Been looking for a solution like this myself, but never got around to do it.

Been thinking a little while reading through the threads..
Won't that bugshield of yours affect the air stream over the hood?
Removing it will maybe send more air through the Ram Air scoop.
Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
3 words, dodge super bee!

·
Registered
105 Posts
ChevyHoe;1609308; said:
Won't that bugshield of yours affect the air stream over the hood?
Removing it will maybe send more air through the Ram Air scoop.
Just a suggestion..
I was thinking the same thing, the bug shield may disrupt flow coming into the scoop making it more turbulent or changing the path. Something to consider when you are doing testing, having the shield on then off to see any differences.

Great job!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, i was thinking about that too. At some point I figure I'll make a base run, take off the shield and make another run, see what happens. Dont have time for that at the moment, maybe within a week or 2.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You da man scruf! Nice install.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looks good dude.

Now we will definitely recognize you when we see ya on the road.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heh yeah, I kinda stick out now.

Also as an add-on, I just ordered a pair of 5" 200cfm fans. Thinking about adding them to see if they move air any better than how it is now. I have a boost pressure switch I could set to 10 PSI to turn on. We'll see how the current setup works for now. I can always use some retarded powerful fans elsewhere. I probably wont see the fans for a few weeks since I'm leaving for Indy, but I'll have someone ship them to me once they get here.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thats what I'm doing to my TT-Camaro Scruff, its going to be a top mount I/C also with boost switched fans and water/meth injected, if I ever get my boost friendly engine built it should be fun, just never enough time or money.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well.......heh

the intercooler didnt do much for me on the way out to Indy. at 14 PSI up a mountain around 60mph at about 2600 RPM it hit 240F at one point....that was with a 45 degree ambient air temp.

Kimagine and myself were looking things over and we both think that the bug shield is killing a lot of air flow to the scoop. Thats my next step in testing, once I get my replacement 2.5 to 3.0 coupler.

I'm an a-hole for not replacing the rubber reducer coupler with a silicone one....like I told myself to, I forgot to. Once things hit that 240F the rubber one burst, sounded like a friggin air bomb going off. 2 hours later and down to 10PSI I continued my trip and made ok with a terrible rig-job.

So anyway....so far the intercooler isnt doing anything, but I still have a bunch of tweaking to do to see what I can do. Remove the bug shield, add some fans, create a better seal from scoop to intercooler.

Stayed tuned people, I'll get this thing working somehow...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Scrufdog;1621582; said:
well.......heh

the intercooler didnt do much for me on the way out to Indy. at 14 PSI up a mountain around 60mph at about 2600 RPM it hit 240F at one point....that was with a 45 degree ambient air temp.

Kimagine and myself were looking things over and we both think that the bug shield is killing a lot of air flow to the scoop. Thats my next step in testing, once I get my replacement 2.5 to 3.0 coupler.

I'm an a-hole for not replacing the rubber reducer coupler with a silicone one....like I told myself to, I forgot to. Once things hit that 240F the rubber one burst, sounded like a friggin air bomb going off. 2 hours later and down to 10PSI I continued my trip and made ok with a terrible rig-job.

So anyway....so far the intercooler isnt doing anything, but I still have a bunch of tweaking to do to see what I can do. Remove the bug shield, add some fans, create a better seal from scoop to intercooler.

Stayed tuned people, I'll get this thing working somehow...
I told ya we could have taken that bug shield off and set in the bed for the rest of the trip. I can understand wanting to wait for the other parts to come in first. Maybe when you come back through we can play with the other options to get her running right.;)

Mark:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i want 14 PSI again before I start messin around. That way I know I have to ability for really high IAT temps.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Why the top mounted I/C? I've looked at mine and I think I can fit it behind the grill. I've heard of putting them over the motor, but I can't quite see the advantage. Seems like the hot underhood air would be fighting you bringing in cool air. Would it be better to angle the I/C a little to get the air across it better? I thought about doing something like that for my CAI, but I was going to try a heat extractor type scoop.
Not trying to shoot it down, please explain to me why you put it there.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
To avoid off road damage.

·
Registered
783 Posts
DavidPhillips;1622853; said:
To avoid off road damage.
okay, that's one good reason. I didn't think of that because his truck doesn't look like an offroader. I know the ones I looked at from Kennedy hang down there in harms way, looks like a terrible design if you ask me. Plus I don't think I could fit one there with the plow frame I have, even if I wanted to. Has anyone stuffed one behind the grill? I looked at an old 3500hd with the grill off yesterday, I thought it looked like there was room in there. Be nice to know for sure what size before I order one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thats what im doin this summer!

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Scruf,
I'm going to have drive to Maryland this summer just to see your truck!:D
Unless your going to Indy for the Diesel Nationals, :ro) then I'll see you there.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts