Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I started the day with the first image....and ended with the last 3

havent checked out any differences yet. Gonna wait till part 2, when I install the ram air scoop, hood vents, and fender vents.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
looks like a good clean setup. how hard was it squeeze all that in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wasnt too hard. I did lots of measuring before I ordered anything to make the intercooler as big as posible and still fit. I'm gonna drive it for a bit and see what, if anything, scrapes the hood. If anything does I'll trim the hood support beams to fit better without a rub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
I too like the clean install. Was wondering, will your cold air intake setup suffer with the intercooler mounted under the hood and the heat it will generate while trying to lower the air temp from the cold air intake........? Kinda like a circular reference in an Excel spreadsheet. :rolleyes:

My bad. I reread your post and see that you are contemplating fender vents. Would that be for fresh air outside the engine compartment for the intake? If so, then I really like the setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
where/cost of the parts in your homebrew kit? nice setup, looks 4x4 friendly. check my garage and youll understand why i wont mount under the front end lol ):h what are you gonna run for hood scoop(s)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94 at Large;1545720; said:
I too like the clean install. Was wondering, will your cold air intake setup suffer with the intercooler mounted under the hood and the heat it will generate while trying to lower the air temp from the cold air intake........? Kinda like a circular reference in an Excel spreadsheet. :rolleyes:

My bad. I reread your post and see that you are contemplating fender vents. Would that be for fresh air outside the engine compartment for the intake? If so, then I really like the setup.
The vents are too release heat from under the hood. The added air pressure from the ram air hood scoop needs to go somewhere.

manyholes;1545818; said:
where/cost of the parts in your homebrew kit? nice setup, looks 4x4 friendly. check my garage and youll understand why i wont mount under the front end lol ):h what are you gonna run for hood scoop(s)?
mine is a 4x4, so yeah, its friendly. I have a functional scoop from Summit that kinda looks like a flat pig snout. Kinda cool.

From ebay -
Intercooler = $100
Pipes = $100

Peninsular Intake - $70
2 1/2" to 3" coupler -$7 from Autozone
mounting brackets - $5 from Lowes, pieces of aluminum that I bent...and will probably be replaced by something prettier later.

Ram air scoop and 4 vents, $90 from Summit

so, its basically a $400 setup, thats off-roading friendly. I need that since I work on construction sites for a living and like to have fun while I'm there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, you get stuck a lot..... nice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Sell the 4x4, it ain't helpin

LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Nice.......... interested to see your hood lines, Do you have a way to check IAT's and did you record prior. Very clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I use my laptop for temps. At 13 PSI towing during the summer I was getting between 250-260. I'll be towing that same load in 2 weeks, so I can check to see what it is now. It's colder out, but I'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, and it only took 5 hours from start (tapping upper mani) to finish/cleaned up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Don't want to sound like a broken record...., but that is nice. Looking foreward to seeing the scoop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Beautiful!!!

Keep us posted on how she runs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cool_fool;1546288; said:
Don't want to sound like a broken record...., but that is nice. Looking foreward to seeing the scoop.
hey no prob. I take compliments well. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
makes it easier to check exhaust and drivetrain that way lol. ive had some interesting spins , what size is the intercooler?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
core size is 22 x 5.5 x 2.5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
whats the inlet/outlet size?just on ebay now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2.5 - autosquare is the vendor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
would this still work but without fender vents??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
pressure? from ram air? you need to learn a little about the differences between static and dynamic pressures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Please be more specific.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top