Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intercooler install

Finaly it is done. I tried to get some before and after pics, so here goes. The pics in this post are of the installation, not completed. Fender wells are off and no clamps installed. Fitting the pipew went quick. I only had to makes 2 cuts in the whole install. I ordered a kit from ebay that offered 6 pipes, 6 couplers, and 12 clamps that I could choose. There were straight, 90°, 70°, 45° pipes in 2", 2.25, 2.50, 2.75, and 3.00", couplers were straight or reducer in all sizes. I got 4 90°,and 2 45° pipes, with 5 straight and 1 2.5 to 3.0 reducing couplers. All pipes were 3" polished aluminum with beads on the ends. Since I only had to make 2 cuts I was able to utalise the beads. The cuts were at the inlet and outlet of the intercooler. And of course the intake adapter from peninsular. I tapped all of the holes for sensors.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks great! So you took both inner fenders out--will you have to notch them when you put them back in? Is that a Heath remote above the intercooler--what did you tie into--still on the bumper?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sweet!!! Looks good. I'm going camping this weekend and taking my scanner to check IAT temp. Let you know how well it worked.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Awesome - I may have another for you to do!

Wow, that's fantastic looking. Really interested in the results of this whole experiment.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Looks awesome. Where did you order the tubes from?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More pics

Here are some of the tubes, these two are the return pipes from the intercooler to the intake. I wrapped these pipes with fiberglass wrapping and then with aluminum tape in the areas that are in the engine bay. This will allow the cold air to stay cold and not pick up heat from the radiator air. Then I coated the intake adapter with a sticky backet fiberglass foil sheeting. Also covered the airbox with same sheeting. The turbo gets a heat blanket to protect from exhaust side. Possible future changes is a new airbox with cold aor intake.
Last picture shows last minute hose I had to use for testing, have already ordered a 45° silicone elbow with t-bolt clamps.
Current numbers show intake temp below 120°F in all cases running empty at 95°F ambient. Will be taking trailers to mountains this weekend. Truck feels a little more peppy. Boost before intercooler was 12psi, after install I am looking for 14psi, had to turn up the turbo master a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
You should consider wrapping your exhaust. I've read several articles & posts that it helps with scavaging, turbo response, etc.

I plan on wrapping the exhaust first with the idea it's better to prevent the heat from dissapating under the hood than fight the heat there.

Very nice install. I'd also like to know who you got your stuff from on eBay.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What did you use the reducers on? The intercooler?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pipes

I used the reducer to go from the 2.50" turbo to the 3" pipe.

I have considered wraping the crossover pipe, but have not got around to it.
Check out ebay item # 230022571055.

You can ask for t-bolt clamps, they are more $ but better. You will need 3-90° and 2-45° pipes, 1-45° silicone coupler, 5 straight couplers and 1-2.50x3.00 reducer coupler, with the penisular diesel adapter.
Cost is the best I could find with the best quality, and the vendor is very helpful.

·
Registered
820 Posts
looks really good! its time you joined the hanging ata ic club.:grd:

·
Registered
65 Posts
what kind of power increase are we lookin at? How much more boost can you run with an intercooler than without? Is there a need for a new tune by installing the intercooler?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
max is said to be about 12 without ic and 15-16 with ic. theres no need for a tune but it would help. theres a huge difference with the ic than without ic.

hey boisebiker, take that rap off your intake side and put in on your exhaust side. you want to disipate heat on the intake not keep it in. its the opposite for the exhaust side. heat=pressure, plus it will help keep it off of the stuff around it.;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Will there be an MPG improvement with an intercooler? Assuming you can keep your foot out and use the turbo more efficiently.

·
Registered
65 Posts
any shops in Ca burning new chips for us 6.5's?

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
BKinzey;1272502; said:
You should consider wrapping your exhaust. I've read several articles & posts that it helps with scavaging, turbo response, etc.

I plan on wrapping the exhaust first with the idea it's better to prevent the heat from dissapating under the hood than fight the heat there.
Don't forget wrapped exhausts rot a lot faster. The downpipe is probably still a good candidate for wrapping.

REAL nice install.:ro)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All complete

I got the last piese last night so here are the final 2 pics. They show where I put some 1/4" fuel tubing on the fender well cutouts to protect the tubes from the sharp edge. There is plenty of clearance from the wheel, I am only worried about the tire picking up road junk and smashing the tube ie: truck tire treads.

As for the wrap on the turbo, that is the way it was designed. A company in Florida called American Diesel and Gas(AD&G) makes kits for large diesel engines that include a wrap for the compressor, they also include a shield for the turbo but ours has a shield and I didn't want to remove it. A rep from AD&G sent me a kit with the compressor shield, turbo shield, pipe wrap, aluminum tape, and 6 sheets of the sticky back fiberglass heat shield sheets.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Boise - Bring that thing by my office, I've got to see it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I took it for a spin with the trailers, 7,000#. Went for a 350 mile trip through the mountains. I still have mixed feelings about the install. It definatly cooled the intal air a lot. Normal driving I would see intake temps in the 160 to 220 range, on the big hills I would see temps up to 295°. Over the last couple of days it was a lot lower. Normal driving the temp would not go over 120 and usually stayed below 100° on the big hills I saw 140 to 160 on the longer hills. I took the biggest hill around here and saw 180° because it takes almost 15 min to top the hill. I was mostly satisified with the intercooler but I still have water temps that are way to high, still saw 235° on that big hill. Now I seem to have a different problem. My low coolant light keeps coming on. I add fluid and a little while later the light comes on again. I added over 2 gallons of fluid on the trip home that was only 170 miles. What do I do????

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem with the coolant light coming on and coolant disappearing. I found the coolant in my oil pan:eek:.

To make a long story short I now have a brand new Penninsular 18:1 motor. My block had cracked with only 124k on the motor. Get it checked out soon! Hopefully its not your block.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts