Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone put the thornbird 33x11.5 16lt on a stock wheel. they say it will work well with a few turns of the bars. im looking to sell the stock rubber if anyone is interested they only have 200 miles on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
tlcmetrokc;1593407; said:
has anyone put the thornbird 33x11.5 16lt on a stock wheel. they say it will work well with a few turns of the bars. im looking to sell the stock rubber if anyone is interested they only have 200 miles on them.
It will work by cranking the bars, but I'd stay away from Interco tires. I had 3 sets and none of the were worth it. I tried the tsl sx Super Swampers(got 15,000 miles and rode like poo poo) then the Truxxus(16,000 and rode like poo) then the Iroc (18,000 and wouldn't balance anymore without a 45 pound weight on the rim). I'll never buy interco again. If you need a mud tire, take a look at the Nitto Mud grappler. I've been running the Terra Grapplers for over 4 years now and I got 62,000 out of a set. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The general concensus tends to be Interco is awesome for off road traction (except the Thornbirds which seem to suck really REALLY bad) but is not a tire well suited for primary on road duty. Some seem to find the Truxxus and IROC "acceptable" and maybe that's what you're looking for but if not, keep investigating as you'll likely come to the same conclusion.

Andy

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Like scubamax said, most all the interco brand tires are made for off-road and they wear very badly.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i would never waste the money on thornbirds. they are the worst tires you can buy. but yes the majority of the interco tires are for offroad use so most will get bad wear on road and have bad road noise, bad traction on wet roads and such.

·
Registered
550 Posts
the Trxus MTs are actually a great tire, just not for a heavy rig like a fullsize. I have 37" Trxus MTs on my s10 (in avatar) and they ride great even with the beadlocks. they balanced out well and are smooth all the way to 90-95 mph.

that being said, something like the BFG KM is a better choice for something aggressive looking since they wear much better. my trxus are wearing great on the lighter truck, but the s10 is only about 5300#

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow i had a set of tsl's 44's on a previous truck. kept them aired down a bit and rotated regularily i got 75,000 out of them. they must have gone down hill since. i guess ill stick to bfg's all terrain since i drive about 25k plus a year. my last set seemed to wear well. thanks for the info. i guess they make a kit to put in the front torszion so they dont have to be torqued so far. anyone use them, they say it keep the ride comfort with 2 inches of lift???

·
Registered
780 Posts
Check out the Toyo Mud Terrains. They are nice tires.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Thornbirds are good no where.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
tlcmetrokc;1596989; said:
i guess they make a kit to put in the front torszion so they dont have to be torqued so far. anyone use them, they say it keep the ride comfort with 2 inches of lift???
crank your stock keys before wasting money on keys. some need them, some dont.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how about the mud grappler by nitto. its a cool lookin tire, wonder how well it works and wears on the street

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
tlcmetrokc;1596989; said:
wow i had a set of tsl's 44's on a previous truck. kept them aired down a bit and rotated regularily i got 75,000 out of them. they must have gone down hill since. i guess ill stick to bfg's all terrain since i drive about 25k plus a year. my last set seemed to wear well. thanks for the info. i guess they make a kit to put in the front torszion so they dont have to be torqued so far. anyone use them, they say it keep the ride comfort with 2 inches of lift???
You got 75,000 miles out of a bias ply offroad tire????

:drop_mout

·
Registered
123 Posts
I mud raced with Interco 38X11 Boggers, yes they are a fantastic off road tire. Not a tire to drive down the road unless you have lots of extra $$$ to waste on tires. They are just not meant for it. Thornburds are horrable on or off they clogg really bad. I can almost believe the milage with the 44" tires, one revolution would be like 3 turns of a normal tire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i meant the grappler mud version by nitto. not the interco version. sorry.
yeah kept a close eye on the swampers and rotated alot(pain in the butt) well worth it though especially if you have them trued on a machine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
grapplers are good. balance pretty good and wear fairly well. i can probably get 35000 on mine..and they look sweet as hell

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
a guy i know had them on his z-71 and had two sets the first thru a lug the second wasn't bad i thought they did fairly well off road they got him farther then most in my pond so i can't say to much about them but for a truck as heavy as ours i wouldn't go with interco unless you plan on keeping them rotated and balanced on a regular schedule

1 - 17 of 17 Posts