Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, if my engine doesn't grenade anytime soon, I think I will install this preheater. It's from a Case tractor dealer and they said they have no problems starting 6 cylinder diesels at -30C which aren't plugged in.
I hit'er with 12 volts today and wow, this gets hot quick.
Do you think the size is adequate? The heater part is about 3/4".

Attachments

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Looks like the one I eluded to a few months ago....how much was it at CASE IH? Part number?

These work well at starting our Case 930 in extreme cold...

·
Registered
374 Posts
are you figuring on wiring it to your glow plug relay? Switch in the cab? Good idea, please do report your findings.

vo

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chrisk, I ordered it thru our local auto parts store and then found out after that it came from Case. So auto parts charged $71 for it, obviously makin' themselves a few dollars. I'm gonna find out from Case how much since we also have an account with them. You know, cut out that middle man. Part number, I left it at work so I don't know right now.

Veg, I'm not sure yet. I already have a switch for manual glows. Haven't decided which way to go yet.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Thats called a "Thermostart." You also need to get fuel pressure for it to work. When 12volts is supplied fuel is injected at the same time. Your local fuel injection shop should be able to order you one.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The one that I am talking about does not have the fuel line lead on it like yours does though....it is straight electric....

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Would just an intake heater work with indirect injection or would you still need the glow plugs?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
DieselPro;1561103; said:
Thats called a "Thermostart." You also need to get fuel pressure for it to work. When 12volts is supplied fuel is injected at the same time. Your local fuel injection shop should be able to order you one.
According to them, this one can be used w/o fuel. True...I dunno..don't know a whole lot about these things.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Joey D;1561220; said:
Would just an intake heater work with indirect injection or would you still need the glow plugs?

I would still use glows. It gets pretty cold here and I'm sure it would help alot to have both.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Looks great. Do you have a way to measure IAT for comparison?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DavidPhillips;1564167; said:
Looks great. Do you have a way to measure IAT for comparison?
I never thought of doin' that. If and when I do this install, I will look into it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts