Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scanner I just got that you can use while you drive and it has an air intake temp reading. I can get it to 250 degree's in a few seconds when I pin it. The intercooler is looking better and better, save the cash.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I have a thermastatic relay for a water to air system, comes on at 180 deg F and off at 150 deg F. I was starting to think 180 deg was too high. but if your making 250! in a few seconds, I would think it would trip the switch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Watching IAT's with a Tech II is what put me over the edge to buy an intercooler 2 years ago. I saw them skyrocket in a hurry while mashing the throttle with no trailer.

Everything you read about an intercooler keeping them to +30* ambient is very true. I couldn't be happier with it.

Or Maybe I Could...

I've now added WMI on top of the Intercooler. While doing some testing last week I was able to keep IAT's AT AMBIENT temperature. This testing was done with no trailer. Long Heavy Hauling has not been put to the test yet.

I Hesitate to even say that I saw Below Ambient Temperatures. I'm not sure if that is possible. When I left work the other day with Tech II hooked up, beginning IAT was 89*. On the highway going home, with water on, I did witness 85*.

There's nothing like Cool, Dense, Intake Air...

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billman, What intercooler are you running? What water injection kit? I went as far as to install all of my Heath Diesel water injection but have not installed a tank as I need the bed space. After watching the intake temps I think the bed space is going to get smaller by 10 gallons. I still want a intercooler and will buy one.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I bought the JK/Spearco. Bigger is better. It's Neat & Clean. Worth the extra money.

Turbo Tech's Intercooler has pipes running up through the fenderwell. Ugly AND Small. It would kill me to see that pipe behind the R/F wheel.

I made a Complete Custom WMI system. Very High Pressure, Very Small Nozzle. Custom Hidden Tank. So far, results are amazing.

I've read about your plow mount problems and the fact that you enter Truck Pulls from time to time. You won't regret either way you go. Guaranteed to pull that sled another 75ft.

·
Registered
449 Posts
billman-

post some pics or just a rundown on your wmi. parts and where to get 'em. seems simple from the kits i've looked at but not sure of nozzels, flow rates. "i'm not broke but brother i'm badly bent" and a cheap ass!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have had the JK large IC for about 4 years now and I never see any more than 120* inlet. Best performance mod money I spent on the old girl. Water injection will never do as well as a big IC.

Greg

·
Registered
281 Posts
Billy,

Don't know if there's any way of doing this on your current set-up, but did you ever isolate the operation of the intercooler from that of the WMI? Which is to say, did you ever measure IAT with the WMI alone?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Lupey

More pressure is better. That's what I think. I don't need a big nozzle with Intercooler. IC does most of the work. Kinda like a 'Hard Part' that needs no maintenance or refills. Systems can be built very cheap. 'Found' most of my stuff at work.

Sorry, don't have access to camera. Would love to show it off. I'm kinda proud of it actually. Very neat, clean, & HIDDEN.

SD

No. Never isloated WMI without IC. Can be done. Don't really have time right now. I think the 2 systems working together is amazing.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Billman,

That combo has potential. Get a camera so we can admire your work.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Billman said:
Lupey

Systems can be built very cheap. 'Found' most of my stuff at work.

what kind of work do you do then ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
In the For-What-It's-Worth department, here's my set-up. Flow control valve/check valve is on firewall. Water nozzle is located in turbo housing cover and the Hobbs switches are located in neck of intake manifold. For fear of severe backlash, I won't show how I mounted my water tank. People either love it or they hate it. I've experienced too much hate today.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have a Heath WMI kit on mine and would not recomend it to be used with an intercooler.

The way it this kit is designed, it wouldn't work very good (if at all)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
AW Come on spindrift

No hate here all love

Can You Feel the Love.

·
Registered
281 Posts
whatnot,

Can you elaborate? What challenges do you see?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah Spindrift:

We all love yeah! or at least tell us where you mounted that water tank. I been think of doing the WI but I don't want to mount the tank in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
spindrift said:
whatnot,

Can you elaborate? What challenges do you see?

Heath designed it to turn the water to steam as it hits the hot air coming out of the turbo. With an intercooler, it would condense in the intercooler.

If you want both, you would need a high pressure, fine mist after the intercooler to work best.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts