Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recieving my kit today and having about 2 hrs. daylight left, I attempted the install.

Okay here are a few suggestions for the instructions included in the Nicktane Filter Kit.
Because there are people out there with as little or possibly less?common sense as me (scary huh?)

1.In the instructions It states to mount the filter head then the parker hose fittings. I had the bad experience ofskipping that step and mounting the bracket, only to find that once the head is mounted to the bracket, the fitting on the guard side will not thread in due to lack of clearance. I did not have to remove the bracket to correct the problem but I did struggle some to remove the head from the installed bracket to install the parker fitting. This would have been easier had I not skipped a step b/c if the bracket had not been mounted I could have easily removed the head to correct the instructions (some my fault some the instructions)

2. Include in the Parts list part of instructions a complete list of tools required/recommended for installation ex: what size drill bit. Wreches sockets fuel line tools etc.

3. I have the telephone pole driveshaft, even if I remove the exhaust, I probably will still have some problems gettin to the top of the tank.
3a. Can I remove the drive shaft without any repurcussions? (need new u-joint?)
3b. If I unbolt the exhaust pipe(nocat 4 bolts) do I need to replace that gasket?

4. ther is mention of thred dope for the barbs but shoul we use it on the brass fittings going into the parker fittings?

I will probably drop the tank a few inches like others suggested.

I'm halfway there. I plan on finishing in the Morning.

Thanks for any help with this.

Pepperidge

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
#3) There is considerable more clearence with the pole out of the way .... Dropping the tank would give even more space ....

#3 a) No ....

#3 b) No ....

That's all I got Peppy ....

Mac

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Hi,

Parker states the connector are NPT-F that don't require dope, but i chose to recommend it because it can't hurt. it goes on the Pipe connections between the parker 90 and the parker barb. that's it.

I don't remove the exhaust or drop the tank. i've now realized that i can simply reach up there after bending the heat shield down. if you need to look, use a small mirror.

I have installed about 12 kits per those directions. what i just started doing is mounting the bracket first. the the lines to the head, then the head to the bracket. however i never had a problem connecting the lines to the head after the head was mounted to the bracket. its hard to explain where i put the tools in a post as orientation obviously comes it to play. sorry that you had a hrd time.

the new directions have been updated a bit and i think it will be easiest for first-time installers to mount the bracket, then the lines to the head, then the head to the bracket.

tool list is a good idea. thanks, i apprecaite your input!

Enjoy your cleaner fuel!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This a.m I completed the install. Everything went smoothly as a calmer me prevailed. The removal of the telephone pole driveshaft (do not pull out of the tranny! just onbolt from the yolk and push to side)

Nick, I could not get the parker fitting to thread into the head while mounted to the bracket. (this was the only hard time I really had, as the directions stated to mount head to bracket then install fittings. the 90* fitting would turn and catch the stone guard. I only made it harder on myself by mounting the bracket to the truck after I mounted the head which made me have to reach crampedly to unbolt the head to put the parker fitting in place.
No mirror was needed once I put the driveshft off to the side.

All is now well in the world of duramax.

Thanks for a great kit!

Pepperidge

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Great.. glad it worked out!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I needed to mount my fittings to the head prior to mounting the filter head to the bracket. No way were they were screwing in.

But then again, if you read the directions and play with the parts as you do it, you kinda get a feel for this. Its no biggy, just an FYI.

I still need to climb under and finish putting the filter on...Edited by: DMAX Daddy

·
Registered
939 Posts
Great info!! I hope to have my kit sometime this week so John (CS-DMAX) and I can install this on my truck this weekend.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts