Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone out there would like the specs on building a box for the back of your crew cab, I have them. I am installing 4 8inch kicker comp vr's in the back of my 2006 LBZ truck. The box was designed by a shop here in town and the owner gave me the specs. I am still building it and should have pics of the install here in the next couple weeks. I am installing an Eclipse AVN5435 NAV/DVD touch screen, ALL stinger wiring and connectors, 1/0 power wire, 4 kicker 8inch comp vr dual voice coil 2ohm subs, kicker 600.1 class D amp, 2 kicker 150.2 amps for the mids and highs, kicker ks62 in all 4 doors, we just got done installing the Stinger Road Kill in all 4 doors and the back wall. Should sound pretty nice and have good sound quality.:ro) . I was going to go with the kicker L-7 squares but not enough depth to run 4.

Chris
2006 Chevy Crew Cab Dually LBZ with 6 speed allison
5 inch exhaust/ 6 inch tip
Buckstop bumper
Custom Headache rack
aluminum wheels (8-10 lug adapters with 22.5's coming soon!)
in the middle of installing a system
can't wait for edge to come out with a programmer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like a great setup. I am considering running the Eclipse head unit. I would love to see pics of your complete install. :cool2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still installing sound deadening material. What works great (but can get messy) is expandable spray foam from home depot or lowes. You can get into the body seams and caves to totally seal up your truck and kill all sound and potential rattles. I found a web site last night that has a bunch of stereo equipment and name brand stuff for cheap!! www.sonicelectronix.com :cool2: I am now thinking of changing a few components to upgrade to a higher end. I am looking at a 3 way system for the front doors and a 2 way in the rear doors as well as upgrading my amps. I figured that I can upgrade with their prices and still be with-in my budget. So far I have installed 36 square feet of Expert Stinger Road Kill and 1 can of foam (back wall). It is amazing how much some sound killer will do even with the stock bose system. My buddy that is a car audio freak like myself was blown away on how well the bose system sounds with the sound deadener installed. I am also being able to retain steering wheel controls and onstar with the eclipse unit by using Periphearal modules GMAH24 (for the onstar and door chime) and PESWIECL for steering wheel controls. I will send pics of the install during and after.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
What’s your budget? I'm not a fan of Kicker for SQ. And I would forget about adding comp to the back just get a good front stage and some full rages for the back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have really no airspace in the back for much anything else. I am going from 10 10's to 4 15's and now getting older with a hearing loss:ro) I am going a little more softer but with a good punchy hit.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I have seen 4 RE 8s behind the seat of a CC or some Diamond D3s maybe.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Take several pics for us I plan on deadening the one I get.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the door panels off all 4 doors and laid the road kill on the inside of the panel. I am going to use spray deadener on the door skin. I have had bad luck with the mat on the door skin because of the heat here in new mexico. I have had it peel off and get caught on the window. I preped the hell out of it too and it still came loose from the heat. Today I started spraying the under body of the cab. After I finish spraying it, I will spray it with rubberized undercoating to help protect it from the elements plus improve on water resistancy. I am also going to drop the headliner and spray the roof. As soon as we gut the interior, I will take pis of it before during and after.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason I choose the kicker is that I have had good luck with them plus my buddy is giving me a KILLER deal on them. I had bad luck with Diamond in the past. Spent a ton of money on their mids and highs and they sounded like crap

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I have never known anyone to put deadener on the under side of the cab. I would think the prep and getting good coverage would be a b*tch and it would be almost as easy to just take out the carpet and everything else. I'm guessing you have had good luck doing it this way? Have you looked at SS sludge for a spray on, I’m sure you already have something in mind.

I have never tried/heard Diamond comps just they subs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am using vblock and liquid road kill to hit the under body after that I cover it with undercoating. Prep is a b*&$# but i have a 3000 psi pressure washer and after I hit it with undercoating, I respray the components to get the overspray off.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
are the 8s going behind the seat, or under it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am installing the 8's behind the seat with the amp rack under. I have figured that I am going to use 6 kicker 150.2 amps to run the system.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you gonna run the 600.1 on the low end or use stereo amps on each 8? I was wondering because the 600.1's are 2ohm bridged. I would think about putting 4 8" L5's behind or under the seat (the square L5's are minimal top mount depth). Another idea would be to put 2 square 10s under the seats in individual enclosures. I'll be helping my bro install 2 diamond ds10's under the seats of his crew within the next few weeks (might even build the boxes for him while he is on vacation next week :D). I would deff reconsider the diamonds for components, the closest kickers can come are with the ridiculously overpriced ss line (not worth it imo). Run alot of power to some good components imaged halfway decent in the front and forget rear fill to save you some money, esp since you are using high level converters.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking of running 8 150.2 or 6 150.2. 1 for each sub and 1 for each door. I have had bad luck with Diamond. I know that they are killer speakers but no one here in town sells them that I know of. the only reason I am going mostly kicker is my buddy owns the shop and I am getting a good deal on it and possibly a sponsorship from Stinger. This is going to be a long process but I will take pics throughout the install and post them during the whole thing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Get JL Audio W1's they have less than 5" mounting depth and sound great on a small enclosure I got 3 10's on a 400.1 phoenix gold it bumps good enuf for me. even though there under powered.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have already purchased the 8's. I love JL though!!! Maybe next time. I seem to change things often until I get the sound that I am looking for.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here is the first pic of my box. more to come during the completion.

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
What are the max outside dimensions you can get behind the seat if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am in the process of putting one of the new Pioneer shallow mount 12's behind the seat, will post pics of the box when we are done building. The Sub sounds incredible from what people tell me and the mounting depth is like 4" or something (can't remember exactly off the top of my head). I have always preferred the sound of a 12 over 8's or 10's but I heard that pioneer is coming out with a 10 inch and possible 8 inch version of the shallow mount sub...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts