Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Bilsteins in from Performanceproducts.com. Total $200 including shipping. I planned to have a local shop install them, but no one wants to do it since I didn't buy them from them. Maybe a liability issue, I don't know. Anyway, looks like I'll have to do it myself and I've never installed shocks before. I think the rears are no problem, but do you cut the strap that is compressing the shock before or after they are installed? The fronts are going to be trickier. I don't have a floor jack at home, and I've heard it can be done without one, but how much harder is it? Any tricks or advice? I've been looking for an excuse to get a jack and some jack stands, and if its going to be a PITA with out them I'll buy some.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I will be doing mine this weekend, $195 to my door via PerformanceProducts. This is how I recall others describing the install.

For the fronts, install the bottom bolt first, pointing the top into the opening while it expands after cutting the band.

For the rears, install the upper bolt first, holding shock in place while it expands after cutting the band.

Any clarifications or corrections are welcomed (before the weekend).

·
Registered
845 Posts
When the shock expands, and your trying to line it up with the bottom bolt holes...dont get your fingers caught between. Did that once

Shocks are really easy, Crank em down tight though like 120-150 ft-lbs. Youll be done in under an hour.

Bill

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Installing shocks is very easy ... No jacks needed if you can get under the truck without a problem ...

All bolts are metric ... Due the fronts first as explained above the rears are a piece of cake ... You will need a small wrench or anouther device to loosen and tighten front shock in order to hold the shock piston from turning when doing the top nut ...

Mac

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a problem then. The fronts did not come with compression bands in place. Should I try to compress them somehow? Any ideas how to do it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's called elbow grease (a little bit of effort to compress them).Edited by: Joe E

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I did my shocks on my old D**ge I messed up and cut the bands too soon.. - I then got some tie wraps (cable ties) and made the length what I needed.. - put the tie wrap under the bottom (or top) of the shock holding it tight with my other had. Compress the shock using the floor for leverage till you can get the end in your hand over the top... done! now you can put it back in place and start again.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
SWLA said:
I have a problem then. The fronts did not come with compression bands in place. Should I try to compress them somehow? Any ideas how to do it?
It's very doable .... I normally cut them off anyway from the start ....

I put shocks on my beater last night ....

Mac

·
Registered
42 Posts
SWLA,

I had to use a small piece of 2x5 to compress my front Bilsteins. Once it was compressed I put the top in first and had the bottom bolt ready to slide in when it reached the bottom mount point (you have to be quick). If you turn your wheels so the truck would be turning to the side your working on, it's much easier to get at.

The backs set is very easy, no problems. Just make sure you torque them down heavy as "TheChevyHDMan" suggested.

I had installed a set of adjustable Rancho 9000's before the Bilsteins and I didn't have any problems compressing them. I didn't like the Rancho's at all. I felt the stock shocks were a better ride. You are going to love the Bilsteins. I should have installed them in the Dealer parking lot before I drove home.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Shock bolts torque

Front upper 15ft/lb

Front lower 59ft/lb

Rear 70ft/lb

I can not wait to install mine tomorrow!!!!Edited by: NoWake200

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Installed this afternoon in the garage. Took about an hour and a half. Went very smooth. Thanks for all the help. Only took a quick trip after installation, but a very noticable difference. Bumps are smoother, not as jarring. I'm looking foward to a longer trip soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When installing the front set of shock, I found it better to jack the truck up a few inches avoid having to compress the Bilseins.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
job is done....jacking the front would help. But lucky for me I have a wife who likes playing with tools
two sets of hands really helped for the front ones.

The new shocks are great, we just went a few miles around town and notice a much nicer ride. Real happy with them!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts