Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine are installed with the piston rod side installed on the axle (i.e. shock boot on axle side.) This is the preffered method for installing shocks since it reduces unsprung weight but on an axle that heavy, not sure it makes much difference.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Logically it seem like you would want the boot on top as to not catch all kinds of road grime and other crap inside the boot. When I was taking off the OEM shocks the boots were on the bottom near the axle like your describing and thats why I posted the question.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I installed mine with the boot end down(in the front) the boot has drain holes in the end of it. If you run it with the boot side up, water and dirt can pile up in there. My rears are to long for boots.

·
Registered
565 Posts
IIRC, Bilstein recommends pointing the "rod eye end" downwards. If you already have the shocks, it should tell you which way to point them in the directions. I also seem to recall that "either way" is acceptable. :think:

My front 5100 shocks are pointed with the shaft up and my rear 5150 reservoir shocks are pointed shaft down. I think it really depends on the style of shock and what Bilstein recommends. It should be in the installation instructions.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The mounting position is not critical to shock operation and some Fords mount upside down. Personally, I mount the boot up.

The logical answer is boot up, but I’m guessing it does not matter. The only issue that I see is that boot down shocks typically use a bellows boot cable tied to the body to keep out crap and these units use a boot that is more of a sliding shield....

·
Registered
430 Posts
I mounted mine boot up also. The factory shocks I replaced were mounted boot up as well.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
From Bilstein:

"Orientation can be identified by the label and the Bilstein name on the blue band around the body. The label and name should always be upright and readable when installed correctly on the vehicle."

·
Registered
218 Posts
That would be boot side up on the rear. I just did mine last night. thanks Kennedy!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Boots up front and rear. Labels are right side up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
From Bilstein:

"Orientation can be identified by the label and the Bilstein name on the blue band around the body. The label and name should always be upright and readable when installed correctly on the vehicle."
If thats the case, then my 5150's are mounted correctly with the boot at the bottom. Directions also said something about the reservoir preferred on the top.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If thats the case, then my 5150's are mounted correctly with the boot at the bottom. Directions also said something about the reservoir preferred on the top.
Exactly, mine are the same way .. :exactly:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts