Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off what a nice peice compared to the oem pos! it was a real straight up install the hardest parts of the install were taking the flywheel bolts out that were covered up by the front half of the dmf, and the little foam rubber peice between the trans and body that keep you from getting to the shifter bolts , oh yeah and the 4 little pos plastic clips that help hold the shifter boot down that are no longer there! so far so good i've logged about 180 miles and no slipping no hard peddel(with edge on 2). the tranny is fairly noisy at idle, but Peter recommended that i install a fluid damper on the engine to quiet it down. I'm also going to try some lucas oil in the trans to try and cushion the gears some because i noticed it being quiter in the morning when the oil was a bit thicker(worth a shot anyhow)!

More Later,
C.B

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nice! How long for the swap? I'm curious about the fluid damper... Just how bad is the noise?

Sorry for all the questions, but I feel like I'm looking into a crystal ball...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it took me excactly 5.5 hours with one freind helping when needed but i had a lift and a tranny jack (helped very much) the gear rattle is about the same as my bad dmf just a little different type of sound.

5.5 hours was with changing the oil also!!!!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Yeah, the lift is a huge bonus! Nice work. Can't wait for your input after a few more miles. :thumb:

Ty

·
Registered
319 Posts
keep us posted :ro) :ro)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Good Job CB, guess this makes you the first of the Keystone Diesel Posse with an upgraded driveline. See what kind of power that Hot PPE makes now.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good Job CB, guess this makes you the first of the Keystone Diesel Posse with an upgraded driveline. See what kind of power that Hot PPE makes now.
no doubt that i will, i just have to get alittle more miles on it before i crank it up and i would like to get my ppe upgraded before reinstalling it also!

I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
:ro) :ro)

I love to hear about good running ZF6's, I'm looking forward to seeing some big numbers from you guys this year!!!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:ro) :ro)

I love to hear about good running ZF6's, I'm looking forward to seeing some big numbers from you guys this year!!!
:grd: were gonna try anyhow, right?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
05lly,
Compared to stock, how much harder is the clutch to depress.......25%....100%.....??

·
Registered
502 Posts
05lly,
Compared to stock, how much harder is the clutch to depress.......25%....100%.....??
Can't imagine its as hard as the stocker with 50+ extra HP put to it. One time I can bearly push it to the floor and the next time down the road I push it and I almost go thru the floor. D*mn thingCensored

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
05lly,
i would say that it is about 20 harder but only from about half way down dose it start gettin tighter, you have to push it just a little bit further when shifting but other than that i would swear that it shifts better than it did new!! i have about 300 miles on it now and running my j/a on 5/5 absolutley no slipping, and no hard pedel:ro) -its actually the same pedel pressure every time that u go to push it in!!!!!!!!!

So far i'm lovin it, i would have to say that it is very very capable of being a great every day driver!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like a good clutch! Two questions:

1) What about chatter at take-off?
2) Is there any vibration? I'm talking about shaking, not gear rattle.

I have one of the original Mac's clutch's. It has held up well. In fact, the sprung hub is too the point that the tranny has no change in noise idling in neutral with or without the clutch pushed in! (Once it is warmed up)

I only have two problems. The chatter of the kevlar disc causes some problems backing up with a trailer. I tend to use low range, but still it is noticeable. It seems like South Bend claims their Kevlar doesn't chatter?

More importantly, the engine shakes at idle and the shifter vibrates at 60mph. I can't decide if it is an injector problem or imbalance in the flywheel. I'm concerned about crankshaft life. It vibrated with the stock flywheel also, but the vibration was changed with the new wheel. Craig did have some poorly balanced wheels at first. Mine had two index marks. One was blanked out, and another put on after a supposed rebalance. And so, I have some doubts about the balance....

Funny thing is, I get used to it. It doesn't really shake any more than a big truck diesel. But, then I'll jump in my buddies Duramax/Allison. And no doubt about it, his is much smoother......makes me wonder what's going on...

I'd love to hear your comments about the SBC unit with regard to vibration before I tear into it again. It took me a solid day to do it!

Again, I'm talking a real shaking force, not gear rattle. Gear noise in neutral doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i was getting a little vibration with my bad dmf and the new south bend is right on, there is absoutley no vibration from idle to 95 mph. it is still a little jumpy when backing but so was the stock setup, i use low range also!!! the buttons on on the disk are ceramic not kevlar. i am very pleased with my purchase, as for the gear rattle i can live with it!!!
right now it is a little sensitive(grabby) on take of but in 325 miles it has improved greatly and is almost normal now

hope this helps, anymore questions just shoot a pm or something
Later,
Caleb

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's working so well.How does it handle a trailer. I just wish mine would hurry up and get here so I can find out first hand. My DMF has been bad since June :( .

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i havent hooked to the trailer yet but i will this weekend it will be about 6,000lb and up some pretty steep hills so we'll put er' to the test! if you ordered your clutch allready you should get it soon it only took me a couple days i ordered it on wed and had it mon! let me know if you need any assistance on install i'll help what i can along with others here on the DP
Later
C.B

1 - 20 of 88 Posts