Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what a PITA.:eek:

I wanted an extra turn on the block fittings but ran out of room. I made a special socket that had a section cut out for the block fitting that worked well. I wish I had a set of snub wrenches for tight spots. Get some if you are going to do the job.

Not sure about the line routing, either. I studied all of the pics here and on other diesel sites but still feel a little uncomfortable about the possibility of long term rubbing. I used the plastic covers from the original lines and thought that a 700x20c bicycle tube would also protect the lines well. No way was I going to take off the lines and do it over, though. I also struggled with the plastic air dam and bending the SS line too much. In the end I think my solution worked out OK.

I broke about 7 trouble lights.

Still no clue on why my front suspension clunks when I release my brakes from a stop. Sounds like a loose pad in the caliper... But, everything's tight.

Noticed a little play in the front CV joint. And, despite being changed about a month ago, the rear transfer case seal is leaking like a sieve. Do they make a seal that doesn't leak?

Lots of oil on the underside of my truck. Time for the car wash.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Last time i had a clunk like that the main bearing on the front hub was on its way out, i didn't realize it until the wheel ****ed sideways on my one day going around a corner, just made it home or it would have fallen off.

BTW Nick, the front right has a new wheel bearing and spindle... lol

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CR,

Is there a test I can perform? I'm in the process of getting my truck ready for a trip and I kinda don't want to have my wheel to fall off. ;) I'll poke around and see what I can see while the truck is still on the stands.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Jack it up on the control arm and wiggle the tire from side to side and then up and down, you should feel it move if there's play in the bearing and maybe clunk too, watch your stearing linkages too so see for play in those while wiggling side to side.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
SuperTuscan said:
I broke about 7 trouble lights.
I'm good for holding handy lights and passing wrenches.....

All I have done today is "real" work :(. Thank goodness for VPN and WiFi, at least I got to stay home and have hockey and Nascar on in the background....:)

SuperTuscan said:
I studied all of the pics here and on other diesel sites
You mean there are OTHER diesel sites? Who would have imagined....

SuperTuscan said:
Lots of oil on the underside of my truck. Time for the car wash.
I like to do that before I do the underbody work. ;)

Jack it up on the control arm and wiggle the tire from side to side and then up and down, you should feel it move if there's play in the bearing and maybe clunk too, watch your stearing linkages too so see for play in those while wiggling side to side.
That's exactly how I found my last bad upper ball joint. No play when at full droop, wiggled like crazy when jacked up on the control arm. No front end clunk however, just crazy right hand turns on the freeway....:eek:

ST, hope your shop is heated, it looked nice outside, but it was damn cold here today!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm good for holding handy lights and passing wrenches.....

All I have done today is "real" work :(. Thank goodness for VPN and WiFi, at least I got to stay home and have hockey and Nascar on in the background....:)

You mean there are OTHER diesel sites? Who would have imagined....

I like to do that before I do the underbody work. ;)

That's exactly how I found my last bad upper ball joint. No play when at full droop, wiggled like crazy when jacked up on the control arm. No front end clunk however, just crazy right hand turns on the freeway....:eek:

ST, hope your shop is heated, it looked nice outside, but it was damn cold here today!
Bustin' my chops I see ):h

It was incredible how much oil was under the truck. And, I dumped about a quart all over everything despite how careful I was with the old lines.

Another pet peeve of mine is gravel on a concrete slab. No matter how well I sweep my scooter catches the one piece of gravel and sends it into the trouble light. :eek:

I had the garage plenty warm for this job. It was something like 12 this morning.

Thanks for the tip on the suspension. I'll look at it before I drop it back down.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Bustin' my chops I see ):h

It was incredible how much oil was under the truck. And, I dumped about a quart all over everything despite how careful I was with the old lines.
Actually, no (well maybe a little about the car wash ;)).

Need a hand or doing something neat (like this), let me know.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Another pet peeve of mine is gravel on a concrete slab. No matter how well I sweep my scooter catches the one piece of gravel and sends it into the trouble light. :eek:
Try a fluorescent trouble light. You will never go back to incandescent.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, no (well maybe a little about the car wash ;)).

Need a hand or doing something neat (like this), let me know.
Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind for future projects. And, I have a special made socket if you need it. ;) Just let me know.

BM,

I agree. My primary work light was one of those rectangular halogen work lights. It put a lot of light out and served me well in the past but it curiously failed right before my project began. My backup was a simple fixture with an incandescent bulb that failed if I looked at it wrong. Nothing like getting situated under the truck to do some wrenching and the light goes out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts