Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I got a used IP and installed it, but it takes alot of cranking to get it started. Usually I'll have to crank it 3 times for 10 seconds each to finally get it to catch. Once it does, it blows white smoke out both the intake manifold and tailpipes, and will stall out if I immediately take my foot off the accelerator (although it's 40 degrees here and I'm pretty sure my fast idle solenoid does not work).

If I keep my foot down on the accelerator then slowly take my foot away in a duration of about 30 seconds, I can get it to idle but it sounds rough. Also, if I rev it by pressing down the accelerator by about 1/2 the travel.. I blow black smoke.

I'll also add that after warming the truck up for about 5 minutes, turning it off.. waiting a minute, then cranking it again makes it just as hard to start as it was when it was completely cold.. so I'm thinking this rules out glow plugs being the issue.

I'm not sure what's going on here.. I'm thinking it's timing or the fuel adjustment screw is incorrectly adjusted. I guess it could be the cold advance too. Right now the crank arm only touches, and does not press against the cold advance cylinder. Timing is just a tad advanced. The old pump was not advanced at all and I never blew black or white smoke except for the normal 3 or so seconds after startup.

Any thoughts? Here is a video of the truck at idle after being on for about 3 minutes:
http://macpod.net/truck/truck.mov

·
Registered
645 Posts
Your timing might be off a little, but probably not. Check and make sure all of you glow plugs are working, it sounds like some of them are not. To completely rule out glow plugs, don't just let it idle for five minutes, if you can take it for a drive, and actually get it to operating temperature, then try shutting it of and turning it back on again. My truck does the same thing, and i think some of my glow plugs are blown, because if i run it for a while, and try to turn it back on it will start relatively easily.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tested the glow plugs out with an ohm meter. All of them were < 1 ohm so they should be good. I also checked to make sure they were getting current when the glow plug controller was on and they are.

I didn't drive it around yet to get it to operating temperature but the previous should be a sufficient check right? I have to head out tommorow so I cannot afford to have it stall tonight somewhere where I have to retrieve it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
injector problem?

what was the problem with the old IP?

are you sure you got a good IP? i have a really worn IP that sounds a lot like yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts