Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just completed the installation of the Cognito Leveling Kit (UCAK100001), The Pitman Idler Support Kit (PISK2008), and The Tie Rod Kit (TRK100041).

The whole installation took approximately 6 hours and was done at Poway Chevrolet in Poway, CA. For any of you that are local to the San Diego area I have made special arrangements for any of the Diesel Place Forum members and customers of mine to perform most services for a discounted rate of $75 per hour. Just contact me via e-mail, phone, or PM for the contact information.

I cannot express the improvement in the handling and look of the truck. I was finally able to lift the front end and level the truck, like I have wanted to do for the last 3.5 years. LOL

The alignment also went as planned. It did max out the adjustment to get it good. After a few weeks of breaking everything in a bit we will put it back on the alignment machine to dial it in again.

The steering is much improved with an increase in steering response. I think the sway bars may have a small contribution in the over all performance of the front suspension.

Everything was fairly easy to install with the right tools. I can not emphasize that enough. You must have the right tools to do this job. We did have to widen the Upper A-Arm mounts with a little force. In addition we had to widen the lower shock mounts for the Bilstien 5100’s to fit. One of the ball joint didn’t want to separate from the spindle so it had to be forced. :)

The best advice I can give when installing all of these parts is to download and print these photos of the finished installation. The photos speak volumes. The instructions are fairly straight forward but the photos will show you the desired finished assembly. Hence the reason for me posting these photos.

If you have any questions about the installation please fire away.


(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)



(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,141 Posts
Wow, those tie rods look really nice. When I do my lift I will have to upgrade to those!
ac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
gotta see some pics of the before and after with the stance of the truck. I live right down the street from Poway Chevrolet.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
Looks good, any pics of the CV angles with the truck parked at the new ride hight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
easyrider470;1570396; said:
gotta see some pics of the before and after with the stance of the truck. I live right down the street from Poway Chevrolet.....
You know I can not find any pictures of the truck from before the installation. I just went through all of my pictures and can not find one.

I will take pictures of it tomorrow morning for the after installation picture. :)

06bowtie_guy;1570402; said:
Looks good, any pics of the CV angles with the truck parked at the new ride hight?
I will take a picture of this angle as well in the morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,794 Posts
any out of the ordinary tools you need for the a arm install?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
catch2otwo;1570608; said:
any out of the ordinary tools you need for the a arm install?
The install went alot fast/easier with air tools. Impact, rachet, ect. Plus the fork (impact) to seperate the ball joint. Even the impact had a hard time with one side.

You know how professional mechanics are. It seems everytime the mechanic needed something it was right there in the huge tool box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
$75 an hour for 6 hours, ouch. Real Estate ain't the only outrageously priced thing in Ca.

Anyway, pics look great. A-Arms look awesome compared to those stockers.

DMAXBOB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DMAXBOB;1570825; said:
$75 an hour for 6 hours, ouch. Real Estate ain't the only outrageously priced thing in Ca.

Anyway, pics look great. A-Arms look awesome compared to those stockers.

DMAXBOB
You ain't kidding. Regular labor rates are around $85-$105 an hour out here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
TFEnt;1570833; said:
You ain't kidding. Regular labor rates are around $85-$105 an hour out here.

Yeah, I am used to our $38/hr around here. Its amazing the prices things go for out there.

DMAXBOB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,366 Posts
Damn, $38. is really cheap! Dealer rates out here range from $75.- $100. depending on the dealer (Mercades gets the Benjamins). My shop gets $65. an hour. That's actually on the low side for performance upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tbyrne;1570902; said:
Damn, $38. is really cheap! Dealer rates out here range from $75.- $100. depending on the dealer (Mercades gets the Benjamins). My shop gets $65. an hour. That's actually on the low side for performance upgrades.
Hey TByrne:

Can you pm me your e-mail address? I would like to chat with you bout something. Thanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Z71offroader;1570064; said:
awesome! got any pics of the truck finished on the ground?
Here it is. It is not the best picture. Will post more later.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
No pickle fork needed on the ball joint removals, for either the A-arms or the tie rod ends, for me.

Strikes from a large ball peen hammer (not just tapping, but not whanging away either) to the side of the cast iron body surrounding the joint while another hammer hit the tapered stud made 'em come out clean, easy, no heating required.

Of course, that's on a truck with only 600 miles on it. YOUR mileage may vary, and I'll bet it does! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cal Wheeler;1678092; said:
No pickle fork needed on the ball joint removals, for either the A-arms or the tie rod ends, for me.

Strikes from a large ball peen hammer (not just tapping, but not whanging away either) to the side of the cast iron body surrounding the joint while another hammer hit the tapered stud made 'em come out clean, easy, no heating required.

Of course, that's on a truck with only 600 miles on it. YOUR mileage may vary, and I'll bet it does! :D
You have everything on your truck but the most impotant thing!

Sway bars!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Tfent-

Yeah, I've been accused of looking like I "drove through 4 Wheel Parts with a big magnet".

So...


Point me to some good info on sway bars for my rig, I'll check it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top