Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would just list a couple of tips, while they are fresh in my mind, after installing the Nictane kit today:

I would definately drop the tank a bit. If you put a bit of plywood under the tank, then use a floor jack to lower it after removing the two tank straps. I then removed the side aluminum shield for easier (if you can call it that) access to the top of the tank.

If you are just jacking the truck up with a floor jack, it is interesting work on the top of the tank. I used a mechanic's mirror to see what is going on while trying to remove the fuel line.

I found it easier to remove the fuel line at the fuel cooler first, then remove the other end at the top of the tank. It allowed me to better pull on the line while working the disconnect tool.

Last, when mounting the bracket I found it easier to use a c-clamp and clamp the bracket in place at the front bed support. This made it easier to get it bolted up.

I also found it nice to have a helper. I would like to thank 4x4man for coming down to Colorado Springs from Denver to both check out the install, and lend a helping hand! It was great meeting you and I look forward to working with you on other truck projects in the future.

Lastly, great kit Nick! It went to together well, and your instructions and pictures were fantastic.

John

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I quit tryin today cause my tank is full and I need to drop it. Can you drop the tank all the way down to the ground on the jack?

With no ramps and my build, I can barely reach the connection point with one hand. Pulling the Banks muffler will help, but after spending over 2 hours to replace my Catalytic Converter Downpipe with a Banks downpipe this AM I wasnt going to touch my muffler.

So basically, Im looking at completely dropping the tank to the ground to get at it. Evan on a lift, my big head barely lets me in there far enough to even see the top of the tank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I could not see the top of the tank either....I am 6'5", 240lbs. I had the truck jacked up only at the rear, drivers side. I basically did the fuel line work in the blind, using a small mechanics mirror that is on a extension handle.

I was only able to drop the tank about 3". I did not go through the trouble of disconnecting the fuel filler tube, etc. Between the 3" drop of the tank, and removing the aluminum shield, and the mirror, I was able to get the job done. Your mileage may vary on this one. I will say it was not an easy job, and took be the better part of 1.5 hours dorking around with the top of the tank fitting.

Good luck with it! I went out today on about a 100 mile highway run, and got about 18 mpg at 80 mph. I seem to have picked up about 1 mpg with the filter, it is quieter, and seems to be cleaner at the tailpipe (less smoke). I'm lovin it!

John

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Thanks for the info John,

Next weekend Ill get it done. Ill remove the Banks muffler and drop it some, which will give me plenty of room. Ill probably put it on 6 inch blocks after I get the muffler out as well.

At least the bracket is in.

·
Registered
939 Posts
John-

Just saw this post. Thanks for allowing me to come up and lend a hand... Had a good time and was glad you took the diesel bath instead of me! hehehehehe

It was nice to meet you and hopefully we can hookup again to install my Nick filter once I order it. Could probably knock out that pyro install on your truck as well.

Thanks again for the info on those cd's. The info on them is amazing!!

Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

No problemo! Sounds good. Let me know when you get your kit, and we can set a time for me to come visit you!

Later,

John

·
Registered
939 Posts
John-

Ordered the kit yesterday, will shoot you an email and work out a time for install. Looking at the weekend of 9/27 if you are available.

Bob

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't know if this is anything you would want to get into, but I worked in the factory as A Mechanic, and any time I worked on the fuel tank and needed top access I removed the box from the truck.

It's really not as bad as it seems.

Remove the fuel neck, unplug tail light harness, Remove the bolts and have A friend help you lift it off, It's an easy job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am just now able to post on the forums with my new browser (finally)!

This past weekend I installed my filter kit in the "recomended" location & it worked GREAT. It's been running all week with NO problems, leaks or priming issues.

Since the 3 hr install is fresh on my mind, I thought I would recomend the following:

1) A floor jack so you can drop the fuel tank about 3 - 5". (I did this with 1/2 tank of fuel - no problems when using the floor jack)

2) 1 flexible 17 yr old son/boy & 1 flexible 15 yr old son/boy to bend around corners & tight spaces between muffler & driveshaft, etc.

3) I also "pre-filled" the Cat filter before I installed it (sucker took almost 1/2 gallon of fuel!).

4) The hose removal kit that Nick recomends is well worth the $12 dollars at the autoparts store.

We took our time on a cool Sat afternoon and got everything finished in about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs with no problems.

With the pre-filled filter, I started the truck & let it idle about 20 min during clean up & then drove off!!! I have not had to prime it yet!!! (happy, happy, joy, joy!!!!)

Just wanted to add my $0.0002 to the thread!

Thanx,
PDS

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Didn't have to prime it? Really? i had a similar experience when i removed the line from the tank to the fuel cooler and then realized i had the wrong parts. I reinstalled the now-empty line, started up the truck and left a few minutes later. didn't prime either!

Has anyone else pre-filled the filter and not had to prime the truck? I guess that makes it even easier to service it when its replacement time Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
540 Posts
Isn't there something wrong with pre filling a filter??? IIRC that is something that George Morrision has spoken out against in the past.

If your installing a filter to filter fuel why would you pre fill it and not let it filter. And yea I know some of you guys fill it by plugging the outlet. We are dealing with very small particles here and I just can beleive you can pre fill it without getting contamination.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
FWIW,

I didn't have to prime either. I pre-filled and blocked the center with a brand new hydraulic line cap. If the cap is clean enough for hydraulics, I would assume it's clean enough for fuel which should minimize or eliminate the possibility of contamination when pre-filling. Plus, the fuel would go through the element and also the OEM.

2DAMAX

·
Registered
939 Posts
Not sure what the probem is pre filling a Pre OEM filter. It is not like the fuel will be unfiltered when it gets to the injectors, it still goes through the OEM filter, like it used to before the Pre OEM filter install. Some have made it many miles just using the stock OEM filter. 1/2 gallon that "misses" the CAT filter shouldn't be that big of a deal..
Just my opinion though...
Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
just installed nicks filter and prefilled the cat filter with fresh diesel and have not had to prime the oem filter.my truck has been running great last couple of days.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i guess i need to update my directions!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nick,

I don't know if you need to update your instructions, but I DO know that the quality of your product & the fittings you put in the kit directly impacted the relatively short completion time & the "warm fuzzy" feeling I got knowing that all of the fittings would be tight & not leak! Thanks for your work in assembling this kit!

Also, let me clarify something in my previous post. My Cat filter is placed pre-OEM under the drivers side rear wheel well & as such, I felt very comfortable in pre-filling the cat filter. I knew that all of the fuel would at least go through the OEM racor. If I had installed the Cat after the OEM, I would not have pre filled in the manner I did.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Glad you liked it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
A question...Why not cut the line and plumb the filter?? What is all of this top of the tank stuff. I have never read there being a leakage problem with the current factory fittings. Cut the line and splice the filter between the tank out and the cooler in. What am I missing here??

·
Registered
89 Posts
ChevyPackin'Heat,

By not cutting the factory line the system can be returned to the stock configuration if needed. If you cut the line it would have to be replaced (at great cost -- from what I've heard) to restore the system to stock.

Joe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts